OSB or Ply? outdoor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a WW2 design for a motorcycle workbench online.
Basically it's a 2 foot high 6 foot long box.

The actual way it works is that half is 2 feet high, the other half tapers down and the lid see-saws so that the weight of the bike tips the lid, acting as a ramp, horizontal.

If I make one of these, it has to be outside, and I can varnish it and cover it with a tarp in winter (minus bike). I may even make it by not screwing most of it together, but cutting mating slots in sheet material like the dividers for bottles in a case of wine.

Would OSB stand up to being outside with a bit of protection? it may be cheaper than ply but only if it lasts a few years

thanks

Sponsored Links
If you can keep it well treated then either should do, but the ply is always more susceptable to damp courtesy of its open laminates.
Consider capping ply ends with aluminium channel? I’ve done this many times with my ply facias and they've lasted years.
John :)

Thanks.
I intend to use a ton of varnish or similar, will look for suitable trim

Ebay came to my rescue for my 18mm ply......I capped the raw vertical edges and left the alloy about 20mm longer for a water drip.
Sounds like a worthwhile project!
John :)

Sponsored Links
You could consider a recycled plastic board like stokboard. It can be cut and fixed like OSB and will be 100% waterproof without any treatment. Quite a bit more expensive but you'll only need a couple of sheets so may be worthwhile long-term

I've got some sheets of 18mm ply that I use for laying under the car when jacking etc (1.2m x 1.2m squares).

They've lived outside for 6 years in all weathers (ones still under my Golf project), all still in great condition.

Never treated them either, bought them to do a job and they've been in and out of use ever since!.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back