Oscillating multi-tool blades compatibility

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've never used a multi-tool, and I'm thinking of buying this one:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332945384811

However, I have a question: will I be able to mount on it the blades from other brands (e.g., Fein, Makita, Bosch). Do they all use a standardised mounting mechanism?

TIA

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Ok, I have found a picture of the item I want to buy, showing also the connection form for the blades:
thumb_2210698_product_catalog_large.jpeg

Maybe somebody with more knowledge than me can guess whether that is compatible with some blade brand?

Sponsored Links
no not universal but may fit 2 or three tools may even with adapters fit perhaps 3 machines
even blades that look identical with same pattern can have lugs and holes a different size and on a different radius so not compatable
just scroll through the e bay link i gave and notice the different patterns and names connected to each design

If you message Saxton and tell them what tool you have, they will be able to tell you which blade type fits the common brands and models of cutter. They are a good source for multipacks of blades. They may also still sell an adaptor disc. I find it useful to know if I can get cheap compatible blades at Aldi or Lidl.

Don't get some weird brand where blades are difficult or expensive to find, or which does not have a good guarantee. I got a Worx at Argos which seems OK. IIRC Erbauer blades fit.

I agree with John D, there's no point buying a machine that the blades are expensive for or difficult to get. So, make sure the blades are accessible first.
I too have a Worx, I bought it in Homebase. It was on offer at the time.

If you have an aldi near you, they do a ferrex brand multitool for £20

Its a good option as returns are easier than ebay.

And they occasionally have packs of assorted blades in their random aisles of crap. Assuming they fit, very cheap.

Edit
"Product no longer available"

but they or Lidl will have another soon.

Thank you! Interesting information. I will ask Saxton directly. In the meantime, I found this link

http://www.toolcobber.com.au/manufacturers/power-tool-manufacturers/xu1-power-tools/

identifying XU as a rebrand of Ozito mainly sold through Bunnings Warehouse (Australian stuff, apparently).
I hope this raises the availability of spares.

So, does anybody know anything about Ozito? :)

I also managed to find a two-page user manual of the oscillator, floating on the web.

I wouldn't worry too much, it'll probably break before the tools it comes with wear out.

These tools are so useful that once you get one you'll wonder how you ever managed without it - so it's worth getting a proper one. I've just replaced my old Bosch GOP250 with a Makita TM3000C - these are a bargain at the moment (less than £70 on eBay) as they've replaced it with a near identical one but with a quick release tool holder (nice but not essential). Most of the decent ones use the OIS blade format, slowly being superceded by Starlock which are backwards compatible but like all new things will cost more for a few years at the same time as everyone discounts the OIS blades to clear their stock.

I wouldn't worry too much, it'll probably break before the tools it comes with wear out.

LOL, that's very encouraging :D

These tools are so useful that once you get one you'll wonder how you ever managed without it - so it's worth getting a proper one.

Yes, I wish I had known of them earlier: I was long unsure about which power tool to get for the jobs I need to do, and now I realise that these oscillating things are probably the most versatile.
Until I made my mind, I missed the Aldi one above (I saw it in an Aldi shop, but I didn't even know what that thing was at the time:)).

I've just replaced my old Bosch GOP250 with a Makita TM3000C - these are a bargain at the moment (less than £70 on eBay) as they've replaced it with a near identical one but with a quick release tool holder (nice but not essential). Most of the decent ones use the OIS blade format, slowly being superceded by Starlock which are backwards compatible but like all new things will cost more for a few years at the same time as everyone discounts the OIS blades to clear their stock.

Very good to know about OIS and Starlock. I feel there should be a tutorial somewhere on the internet about these details, but I didn't find one.
I hope this thread can be helpful to other people in a situation similar to mine.

UPDATE: I just received an answer from the ebay seller to the original question:

Yes, they are standard, universal blades.

Sounds good, whatever that means. So now at least I have a reason to hope that the tool will outlast the blades :)

For the record, I just got an answer from Ozito, too:
the accessories for the XMT-701 XU1 multi tool are interchangeable with the Ozito (Special Order only) and Craftright brand multi-tool accessories which are available through Bunnings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back