Osma Ring Seal Fitting Problem Imperial vs Metric?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to replace leaking access plug on the end of a old Osma drain within the floor space in my house. The plug fits on the socket end of a 90 degree branch giving rodding access to a length of horizontal drainage pipe. I have purchased a 110mm Osma access plug and a similarly sized T-ring seal to do the job. The existing pipework including the branch is probably 40 years old and hence may well be 4" pipework. Whilst I can get the 110mm ring seal located into the recess in the branch socket (albiet with a bit if a struggle) there is just no way I can get the chamfered end of the plug to push into the socket past the seal. Even with silicone lubricant, there is huge resistance to pushing and if I do what I shouldn't do and employ a timber block and and a hammer, the seal gets pulled out of the recess.

Is this just a straightforward imperial vs metric problem and if so any advice on how to get round this without replacing all my pipework? Or am I doing something wrong with the ring seal. It is pushed fully into the recess and I have tried fitting it both ways ie tapered edge and blunt edge facing out - neither makes any difference.

I am really struggling so any quick advice would be very welcome!

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back