OSO indirect 170 wiring - older version

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a OSO indirect 170 tank on GCH and would like to wire up the immersion to use excess energy off the solar with a special switch unit.

I cannot find a manual for the older units, mine has 2 access panels, bottom one with thermo and heaters and middle one with just thermo

It looks like the installers when the house was built connected the GCH to the bottom unit thermo so stopping us using the immersion, but without wiring diagram for this particular age of model I'm not sure

I see the current model has both thermos in one panel at the bottom

Could anyone advise with pic or terminal numbers?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
What is the "special switch unit " you have ? can it supply 3kw needed for the immersion heater ?

Any chance of a photo ? what your describing is a direct cylinder.

Sponsored Links
Hi Bart I cant find your cylinder layout but it seems oso have not changed the thermostats much, the bottom stat in your pics is the immersion heater stat, you should have live neutral and earth connected to this bottom one (what exactly is connected to this stat ?)

the stat in the middle picture is for the heating control stat (s plan ?) but there is nothing connected to it, if the bottom cable is connected to the heating controls then its been miswired,

on more recent oso cylinders both immersion and cylinder stats are side by side so if you look at the dualstream you can see how it should be wired.

Thank you this is what I was thinking, the original installer has used the bottom stat for the gch rather that the one above, so if I move it up and use the bottom for full immersion that will be as it's supposed to be.

Bit of guess work here as I cant see how anything is wired but if as you say the cable is wired into the heating controls I would put the brown in 1 on the top stat and the blue in 2, be careful as there are two number 2's , you want the 2 after the copper link.

View media item 77113
and your absolutely certain that the cable isint L N E to the immersion heater.

Looking at it more closely, the way the installer has wired it, the immersion was also coming on with the gas, not good as the cable is not upto 3kw!

Thank you for your help, you have lit the path to a result, it's all pretty clear now

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back