Ouch! Stuck Nuts!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All..

My hot kitchen tap washer needs replacing.....easy job.....hmphh :mad:

Removed the cap and tried to undo the gland nut.....while supporting the tap in every way possible...... :evil:

The thing won't move......have tried lubricating (oooeerr) it with no movement whatsoever.

Anyone have any tips apart from move house! ;)

Thanx

Sponsored Links
surely its the tap body you undo not the gland nut to change the washer??

I meant the nut that is attached to the valve

jobloggs said:
surely its the tap body you undo not the gland nut to change the washer??

If its one of the taps with the o'ring seal between the tap and barrel it can sometime be stuck to the extent if it doesn't move with applied heat it will mean take the tap off and clamp it in a vice. Had a pair of 5 year old taps it took and hour and a half to get the taps off the bath in the vice and a 18" stilsons before I could change the barrels.
Good luck
ps mind a wrap the tap before you put it in the vice to protect the chrome.

Sponsored Links
cozzmic said:
If its one of the taps with the o'ring seal between the tap and barrel it can sometime be stuck to the extent if it doesn't move with applied heat it will mean take the tap off and clamp it in a vice. Had a pair of 5 year old taps it took and hour and a half to get the taps off the bath in the vice and a 18" stilsons before I could change the barrels.
Good luck
ps mind a wrap the tap before you put it in the vice to protect the chrome.

Thanx for help.... here is a similar pic of my tap

tap.jpg

Apply heat with a blow lamp around the chrome below the barrels but not too much and you should get them off, ( ooh er misses)

cozzmic said:
Apply heat with a blow lamp around the chrome below the barrels but not too much and you should get them off, ( ooh er misses)

dirty boy...

Haven't got a blow lamp....have a lighter thou... :idea: ...only kidding....would it be just as cheap to replace taps than buy a blow lamp?

Pretty much - but you'll need a different special spanner for that!

ChrisR said:
Pretty much - but you'll need a different special spanner for that!

Have most kinds of spanners so hopefully no problem there.

Should i lubricate (gulp) the new tap valve so as not to have this problem again in the future?

Thanx

Tried all the suggestions above with no luck :cry:

So, bought new taps..... :LOL:

Tried to undo the valve to lubricate it (gulp) so i wont end up with the same problem again in the future when it comes to changing the washer..

Can't shift the thing :cry: :oops:

Any other suggestions to try?

Nico - which way are you trying to turn the gland body?!

Anti-clockwise is correct. How are you gripping the taps while attempting to turn the gland body?

Softus said:
Anti-clockwise is correct. How are you gripping the taps while attempting to turn the gland body?

With everything imaginable :oops: ... have tried turning the gland body with the spout levered against a piece of wood to no avail.

Piece of wood no good methinks.

I would get a decent adjustable wrench and fit them over the spout. If you get a good fit such they don't slide, then the chrome won't mark (and even if it does it will be very slight and not show up, given the general shininess of the chrome).

There's no easy way to convey, in writing, the physical technique required to release a stuck nut - once you know the force required for a particular gauge of nut and type of fitting, you know how much you can apply and what shape to get your body into. This is one of those situations where all the technical plumbing in the world doesn't help; either you you've learned enough to do it or you haven't. Sorry I can't be of more help, but you might just need a professional for this - at least it won't be for a few years though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back