Problem Tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone advise me how to open up this tap to replace the washer? I thought unscrewing the larger nut would do it, but it turns in both directions without either loosening or tightening. I tried loosening the smaller nut, but it wouldn't move (I was reluctant to use too much force, as I wasn't sure it was supposed to undo). I can't remove the tap handle either - I presume the white cap is meant to unscrew, but I can't shift it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
If the large nut moves both ways with undoing it must be a cover.
Try pulling this up and see if that exposes the works underneath

If the large nut moves both ways with undoing it must be a cover.
Try pulling this up and see if that exposes the works underneath
Agreed, but to do this you will have to bite the bullet and force the smaller nut in order to get it out of the way.

unless the small nut and large nut are part of the same cover! Im fairly sure that Ive seen something similar before.

Sponsored Links
mrgas, your last comment was spot on! The 2 nuts move together - I tried using 2 spanners to separate them, but I was reluctant to use too much force. I've also tried prising the larger nut upwards, but without success so far. I couldn't find a good place to lever against & I was worried about scratching the chrome finish.

Hopefully there's someone out there who's familiar with this exact model of tap. BTW, the tap bears the name 'John Sydney' and, although they have a website, their phone number is unobtainable, so I've drawn a blank there.

I've got similar taps on my basin but not the same. If it helps, the big nut is decoration only and in my case does not move at all. The small nut has to be undone to get to the washer. It could just be corroded solid. Sometimes they just get so stuck that no amount of force will shift it.

the small nut is the packing gland and only seals the stem going through it, removing that will do nothing, you need to unscrew the large nut which will turn everything above it, once removed the washer will be visible on the bottom of the assembly, it will prob be very tight and requires the tap spout to be held firm to stop the whole tap turning or the whb cracking, you could try pouring boiling water then cold water on it to see if the rapid expansion/contraction helps break the seal

Thanks for your input, kirkgas, but I'm afraid it doesn't behave the way you describe. If I turn the big nut, only the smaller nut turns with it, not 'everything above it'. The big nut turns quite easily & I can keep turning it indefinitely in either direction, without it either tightening or loosening.

sorry about the duff advice then, if that doesnt work i'm stumped, the pic just looks like an ordinary tap so not sure why the large nut turns both ways without unscrewing

I know this discussion is old but not resolved and I've just had the same problem. Here's the solution. The John Sydney tap looks like a conventional one but is not made like one. Twist your neck to look under the handle. There is a small hole about 2mm wide. Push something up through to pop off the ceramic bit. It's only secured by an O ring? Now you can see the long screw which holds the handle (and shaft). You can probably work the rest out from here. Remove handle then prise the cover. It's not held on by screw thread but by an O ring. The fake gland nut is molded to the cover.
Now you have an almost normal mechanism to take off with a spanner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back