Our house into a home

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to our journey of turning our first house into a home. Over the coming months I'll try and keep this updated with the details of everything that is going on with a load of pics. I find reading other peoples projects interesting so I thought I'd share my own.

Background:
My wife and I got married on 6th June '09 and had been trying to buy our first house since the turn of the year. After problems with the first house we finally found another and our offer was accepted at the end of February '09. We should really have had the keys before the wedding but due to some issues with the land registry we were continually delayed. 9 months, 3 mortgage offers, an extra £11,000 on the deposit, 1 wedding and 1 new (ish) car later we finally got the keys on November 26th '09!

The one saving grace of having to wait so long is that thanks to the in laws putting us up rent free since the wedding and us both working hard, we have managed to ferret away a nice pile of cash to make the house our own even after having to cough up the extra deposit money and buying the wife an '07 Feista after her crappy Daewoo Matiz (don't look at me, I told her not to buy it) finally gave up.

The House
The house is located in a small village/town called Hooley shortly before you join the M23 (if heading out of london). Built in the 1950's by the local authority in a quiet part of the greenbelt, the house is a 3 bed semi with a drive, decent sized rooms and the ability to park the car in the back garden should we so wish. It comes complete with the outside toilet! Thanks to the recession and house price fall, we managed to get the house for £218,000 which we, and just about everyone we know, thinks was a great price for the area.

Piccies:

Our Plans:
With 9 months to plan some of the things we wanted to do, its nice to finally get the chance to put them into action! Despite it being our first house, there are several things we have set out as being important to get done before we move in. Again this is afforded by the in-laws putting us up until the new year and having the money ready to do it.

The kitchen is is such a state that it is the main area of concern. The Boiler has been mounted on an internal wall some 8ft from an outside wall, there are 3 doors, 1 window and 1 brick larder in a 10ftx10ft room. There just isn't any space to do anything reasonable in its current format. We are getting the arch through to the dining room (sallmon pink, patio doors) filled which will at least give us 2 full walls for units/appliances. We are also getting the boiler moved to a slightly more sensible location.

The living room & main bedroom are a far less daunting prospect. New wallpaper, some paint and new carpet in the living room and we are happy for the time being. All other areas of the house will be done once we are moved in.

The other things that need to be done are a kitchen rewire, a new CU, extra sockets in all rooms including ariel and network points. We also discovered that the water tank in the loft is the original galvanised one which has rusted up!

Sponsored Links
Work Begins:
By sheer good graces after getting the keys on Thursday 26th Nov '09 I had the next 4 days of work! Over the course of the weekend we got a fair amount done and also learnt a few things about our house as everyone always does.

The kitchen units have all been ripped out apart from the sink unit and the two supporting the flue from the boiler. I have also gotten about half of the floor up (three different layers of vinyl tiles with varying levels of stick left).

The living room walls have all been stripped back to the plaster, the blocked door to the hall was unblocked (hurrah or leaving door frames in place!). The paper in the hall and the one wall in the main bedroom that we want to change have also been stripped.

We learned that: The galvanised water tank is a bucket of rust, the toilet cistern makes the house vibrate when flushed (water hammer I believe?), the previous owners had managed to drill either side of the buried gas pipe supplying the cooker somehow not hitting it, anything attached to anything else was done so by massively oversized nails and screws and finally that kitchen cupboards will quite happily stay attached to the wall once all mechanical fixings are removed.

On the plus side we have also found that the whole house is actually in pretty good shape. The plaster in all rooms is sound apart from one patch in the kitchen and the wallpaper is all coming off easily enough to still keep it fun!

Pros arrive:
From Monday 7th December we have a few guys coming in to do some work that I can't/am not allowed/dont feel comfortable doing. First is the man to fill the kitchen door and plaster the wall, Wednesday sees the gas man coming to move the boilers, remove the kitchen rad, install TRVs and disconnect the gas fire in the living room. Thursday sees the arrival of a new cold water tank and then Friday will bring a spark to look at quoting for the kitchen rewire, new CU and fixing a few other bits.

Spend spend spend:
The Oven and Fridge have both been ordered as have the sofas, on Tuesday I'll be off to pick up the kitchen units, floor tiles and other odds and sods ready to start work as soon as I can once the rest of the work in the kitchen is complete.

Thats about it for now. More pics and stuff to come by the end of the week!

Lovely Avocado bathroom suite there :D I have heard that coloured suites are set to make a comeback :p :p

Loving the colours you inherited, not sure why you'd want to change anything ;) Sounds like you're making good progress, good luck.

Sponsored Links
I had one of these about 2 years ago, I wish I had done a lot of the work before I moved into it, at one point we had no kitchen, heating and our only source of water was direct from the stop cock, we filled the bath with water for flushing the bog etc. :LOL:

Some after ad progress photos would be good too.

I never understand why people feel the need to colour coordinate radiators either.

Thanks guys. We loved the colours too! :LOL:

Loads has been done this week but not by me sadly. Working 12 hour shifts and about 26 days this month means I barely have any time to do anything!

The door in the kitchen has been studed up and the wall with blown plaster done, then the boiler guy came in and moved that and removed the kitchen rad and then on thursday a guy came and removed my old galvanised water tank and put in a 50gal and also moved the CH expansion tank off of the little stack thing that it was on.

The guy who put the new tank in arrived at 9ish and left at about 3:30. That seemed a little long to me but might be because he arrived a) with no timber to build a deck and so had to go and buy some and even then didnt get a new lump of ply for the main tank, instead choosing to use a sheet that i happened to have in the loft (20mm), b) didnt have a particular bit he needed to finish the plumbing and had to go out again, c) he drove really rather large nails into the joists to hold some 2x4 in place to hold the expansion tank in place instead of screwing something in place instead. Also he left me without any heating or hot water 30 minutes after saying "i wont leave you without any hot water" (boiler wouldnt fire up after he refilled it). It didnt occur to him to bleed the pump in the airing cupboard which I did today. Once the billion cubic feet of air had come out the boiuler fired up without any problems at all.

Oh, and the ceiling has cracked where it meets the walls directly under the 2 joists he was driving massive nails into. Its only a bit of plaster thats fallen out but doesnt EVERYONE know you don't hammer anything into a loft joist? :rolleyes: At least where he put the 50gal tank is still ok. No sign of any cracks or anything so thats a sigh of relief.

On the plus side the gas man and the plasterer were really nice chaps and did a good job, and the spark who met me today to do the kitchen and new CU was also very nice and spent a good 30 minutes going through everything i wanted done, offering suggestions on ways of saving a bit of money if i wanted to which is always nice.

Piccies:

The oven is arriving on Saturday and the fridge on the 29th (probably dishwasher and washing machine too) and then in the new year its full steam ahead!

What is the silencer in the loft for? (just behind the old header tank) Are you fitting a diesel generator?

:LOL: :LOL:
dave

redhill 2.5 miles as the crow flies better keep my address quiet incase i get roped in lol :D :D

good luck and even overly vivid colours tone down after the 7th pint ;)

Well the oven arrived on Saturday the gas fire has been ordered and the Sparks is coming on Thursday to start on the new CU & kitchen rewire. I had to contact the leccy people though as I have no proper earth (a peice of metal tubular conduit is sticking out of the ground which is my earth :eek: ). I have contacted the energy company who said it'll take 3 weeks for them to work out if PME is available in my area :rolleyes:

At least when my holiday comes up at the beginning of January all the Pro work will be done and I can crack on!

rangemaster_kitchener90b.jpg
5019676022402_001c_v001_zp

Well the spark arrived this morning despite the snow to start work and found that the lighting circuits are those that were installed in 1955 and so are all that nice rubber insulated "im gonna burn your house down eventually" cable!

Fortunately it looks like the sockets have all been replcaed at some point so at least its only the lights that we have to really worry about.

When he pulled the kitchen light switch out of its backbox one of the wires just came away from the switch! So glad I decided to get the leccy done before we get everything moved in and settled.

Well the kitchen electrics and the new CU are in, I'm just waiting on EDF to come and dort my PME out so that the spark is happy with the earth.

Because the old lighting circuits were so decrepit they were left unconnected and so we currently only have a light in the kitchen. while a 6ft tube is bright it doesnt really suffice for the whole house in the winter so we have afew lamsp in there to help out now!

When me and my dad pulled up some boards to sort out th eold lighting stuff it looked like spaghetti junction but after a good 6 hours we have pulled out loads of old cable and are now planning on the bits needed to do the rest of the lighting. Fortunately when the house was built they ran all the cables in metal conduit right down to the switches and sockets so replacing it all is really easy since we can just run the cables down there! no extra chasing or filling in for me!

Also got the kitchen holes filled in yesterday and whitewashed. Its amazing how fast a room can go from looking like abomb site to looking remotely servicable with alick of cheap emulsion.

More pics and stuff to follow, im off for 3 weeks from Monday so i'll be getting stuff done thick and fast!

Darren, this story is very like my own...I would have uploaded pictures but my camera is not digital so all my photos was developed,,,the house I bought was built in 1953 and I bought it off their relations after they had passed away . The house had no improvements since the 60s and it was really like going back in time when i first looked at it..but I got it quite cheap I suppose ,,,.needed total rewire,total re plumb, new ch system , new kitchen,new fire,new windows doors,skirting,bathroom suite .ect,ect but some of the features are still there personally I love the coving and ceiling roses. First job was to take up all the floorboards which were in perfect condition and number them to re-use later...next job to get sparks in to to fully rewire plus extra sockets,light, cooker,shower feed ect plus alarm,next job was to get all new plumbing, new ch system with boiler in the loft, bathroom and kitchen plumbing done then the whole house was replastered,then flooring replaced.renewed all skirting doors ect and the kitchen fitted...........believe me there will be times when you feel like pulling your hair out and get so frustrated it will drive you mad but its all worth it in the end....and as for costs you will bust your budget as you allow for the cost of rewire,gch system,bathroom,kitchen, plastering but you will find its all the smaller items waht also eat into your cash...best of luck with it and keep the photos coming in

Hey John, thanks for your comments.

We seem to have been fairly fortunate so far with the condition of the house. We need to redo the lighting but the mains were DIY'd (and now checked to be safe) and a new CH boiler and tank were already there before we moved in. Only 1 wall has needed plastering so far which has also been a bit of a godsend. The spark has finished the kitchen and new CU and we are now just waiting on EDF to sort out the earth.

To be honest, after waiting 9 bloody months to get the place we need all the luck we can get!

Today i managed to sort out all the chases for the downstairs sockets that we are adding and started on the backboxes. The 1.5mm T&E has been run for the downstairs lights (don't have ladders to get into the loft!) and if the snow holds off for tomorrow i'll finish the backboxes, run the 3core&e, run the 2.5mm T&E and start in earnest to get the kitchen done. I've not wanted to dig in too much because of needing to do the chases but it made so little dust that i needn't have bothered!

The wife picked the wall tiles today for the kitchen and we are nearly done with choosing the floor, the appliances are all here already so there isnt now really anything stopping me provided i get those bits done tomorrow!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back