First Time Buyer - Project One!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We bought a house in June 2009 after a long two month exchange of will power! It was a repo, came on the market a fair bit cheaper than the year before when we first saw and wanted it. At the time, the pink crab apple blossom infront of the white washed house stole our hearts and minds. Wasn't plain sailing by any means and went to sealed bids in the end. . . . all while I was working in Denmark! :rolleyes:

Still, we got it. And here it is not long after getting the keys for it. We spent one night there and that was it until Christmas week 09 when we moved in.

View media item 25693
View media item 25694
View media item 25695
View media item 25696
View media item 25697
View media item 25698

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
We are living here! Cheeky!!

Yes, this is how it was when we got the keys. I'll update later with some of the "works in progress" and ahem. ... "finished" rooms. ... my other half still disputes at what point a job is finished. I say it's when you finish the job you set out to do. . . . she say it's when I have finished the list she keeps adding too!! :rolleyes: :cry: :D

A lot of those chases appear from the photos to be outside of safe zones - I'm hoping it's just a trick of the camera...

We're happy with the work, like I keep saying this is what has already been done and the house is most of the way to being complete now!

What defines a safe zone anyway? :rolleyes:

We're happy with the work, like I keep saying this is what has already been done and the house is most of the way to being complete now!

What defines a safe zone anyway? :rolleyes:

BS7671 defines the safe zones. Your electrician should have been working to it.

safezones.jpg

Your last two pictures show very poor work.

Ah well, I can't see it causing us or anyone else any problems. A lot of this stuff seems a bit interfering when it comes down to it.

Ah well, I can't see it causing us or anyone else any problems. A lot of this stuff seems a bit interfering when it comes down to it.

No problem at all when you drill right through a cable which shouldn't be there. Don't employ that electrician again.

We're happy with the work

You shouldn't be, it is sub-standard, infact amature at best, you need to get some money back from him to sort the problems, or get him to sort the problems. Sorry for the bad news but you want your first house to be safe and comply with regulations dont you?

Given this so called spark appears not to understand safe zones, it's worth checking for other problems - has he given you an installation certificate with test results on, and if any of the work has been in a kitchen or bathroom, or involved new circuits is he a member of a Part P self certification scheme and thus can notify building control to get a completion certificate etc - if not you may have problems if/when you come to sell the house in the future...

A lot of this stuff seems a bit interfering when it comes down to it.

Yeah regulations that are designed and written with the saftey of the building's present and future occupants in mind are just a pain aren't they??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back