Our house into a home

We got the call yesterday to say that the sofas would be arriving on the 13th! Needless to say the wife informed them that they wouldn't and they are now coming on the 20th instead.

That means we have just 9 full days to get as much done as we can so that we don't have to shuffle around the sofas.

Fortunately it looks like we should be ok, I have already mounted all the socket backboxes and run all the cable in the living room, and the plumbing in the kitchen was completed today.

This is the list of stuff (not in perfect order) I have left to do to get the living room and the kitchen complete. I have included the kitchen since half the appliances are in the living room and we need the space!

Living room
• Fill chases and boxes
• Line walls
• Paint ceiling
• Paint walls/wallpaper
• Gloss woodwork

Kitchen
• Fill remaining holes
• Paint walls/ceiling
• Hang wall cupboards (6)
• Lay ply
• Fit base units (3)
• Fit appliances (only Oven & Dishwasher at the mo)
• Fit sink
• Fit worktop
• Tiles
• Flooring

Unfortunately because of the snow we seem to have developed a blockage in my basin/bath exterior waste pipe so I have been unable to clean any brushes or anything which has really annoyed me. But all being well its started to thaw out and unblock so I'm hoping to get the chases filled tomorrow and the kitchen ceiling/walls painted ready for cupboard hanging on Tuesday.

We still don't have any lighting anywhere other than the kitchen because EDF haven't sorted my earth because they have been dealing with all the emergency people having problems because of the snow.

Slowly its starting to come together!

Sponsored Links
Well the sofas were supposed to be arriving today butare now coming on the 25th instead! forunately however we have managed to get a load done in preparation anyway.

Kitchen floor is down, fridge is in the hole, oven is in the hole, all wall cupboards are mounted, one base unit is mounted, 2 are built just waiting to be screwed in. In th eliving room all the woodwork has been glossed, the sockets have been added, the painting is done and the mahogany surrouds on the windows have been gone over to brighten them up. All i need to do in there is wallpaper the chimney breast and i can install the fireplace!

22363_289734739782_525219782_4639963_4509168_n.jpg

More pics to come, i've just been too busy to even take any.[/img]

Some more pictures taken today. The fridge freezer is 60cm wide and in a 60cm gap which was a bit of a squeeze! The living room needs some tidying up around the purple and the chimney wallpapered ready for the fireplace.

hello,
hope it goes well for you and look forward to seeing the end result.
It's one of those things that no matter how much homework you do, after buying a first house there's always stuff which you wish you knew about but, know you can't do unless through experience.

The savings just vanish down an endless hole initially and all the extra work I was hoping to do on my 80's built house is now on hold :cry:

I specifically like the look and build design of older houses but knew that it would cost me a bomb in trying to find somehting that required minimalist work.

PS. I love that range cooker and my wife is simply dying for one, not that such a beast will fit in our tiny kitchen :cry:

good luck.

Sponsored Links
Hi Hass,

The Range is a Rangemaster Kitchener 90 so is only 90cm wide instead of the large 100 or 120cm ones. We would have liked a larger one but 90cm was really the largest we could get away with in the kitchen.

We managed to get it from Dixons for £1000 which was about £250 cheaper than everywhere else. It really looks great in the kitchen and everyone likes the look of it.

More has been done over the last few days, the kitchen is now about 75% tiled and after that just needs the rest of the wall cupboard shelves, the kickboard and the wooden bit you put on the underside of the wall units.

We also finally have a a date for the electricity board to come and sort out the PME so after March 2nd hopefully well be able to move in nice and fast! In the meantime we should be able to get even more of the house ready.

Thanks for your comments

4331132588_615d6cd627.jpg

4330400887_352a94dd39.jpg

The washing machine has been ordered as has the splashback and the sliding wardrobe for the bedroom. Alas our bank account runneth dry!

In the next few weeks the dining room will be decorated and the floor layed, the kitchen will have the door put over the boiler, the washing machine installed, the paintwork finished off where the grout removed some and the pipes glossed above the cupboards to hide them a little. I'll also build alittle box around the pipes in the corner of the kitchen worktop.

The electricity board are coming on March 2nd to sort out our PME so we can finally start getting ready to move in!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back