Living on an Island

Sure, its all about grants (at least up here, don't know if its a national thing or not).
Wood pellet boilers and free connection to charge up your Nissan Leaf :eek:
John :)

Sponsored Links
We were under the impression that our place was using a septic tank but it turned out it was connected to the mains so I have no idea in regard to the logistics for septic tanks. Although I have lived at places with them in the past and its never been a problem.
In regard to wind power I did mention it when we first bought the place but from what I could make out they reckon the smaller units cant cope with the winds that we get here and would spend more time off than running. Plus they seem mega expensive. In regard to solar panels I have not looked into it although when we replace the garage with a new larger one I will look into what is to offer in that regard.
Andy

Just stumbled upon this thread and had an enjoyable read while munching my lunchtime sandwich.

My wife and I have always dreamed of moving to Scotland and now that our son has gone off to uni the prospect is looming. We have a nice house in Lancashire but we are heartily sick of the traffic and the small numbers of residents of our nearby town of Blackburn who seem to think the law doesn't apply to them and drive as if they are on the games console. I don't mind admitting that the prospect of giving up paid employment and moving all that way is daunting. We recently had the experience of nursing my dying MIL, which has made us realise that any house we buy, extend or build will need to be reasonably close to neighbours, a doctor, a hospital, an airport and future-proofed for somebody who can't make the stairs of manage a conventional bath or shower. It will also need good internet access, which we think is an essential pre-requisite. We both know some parts of Scotland quite well and last year we visited some people in Argyll who had built their own house and learned a lot from them but my wife thinks Argyll is a bit "Scotland lite" and she wants to go further north.

We also know that our house will need a very good, heated workshop for fettling bikes, Land Rovers, sports kit and for my wife's pottery studio. It will need downstairs accommodation and a practical layout for coming in from outside with wet clothing to hang and dry and boots to wash. Obviously it will need to be energy super-efficient and recent experience here with a cold extension has taught us how good modern insulating materials are. If I was in your position I would completely rewire and re-plumb the house to my own spec, straight on top of the external walls then dry-line over the lot. A friend of my late father is a celebrated architect and he has given us good advice, mainly "you cannot afford not to use an architect". I have seen so many cockups in self-builds and my limited experience of small building projects has told me he is right.

I self-installed a simple solar water setup on my roof with 20 tubes and in summer this gives us 100% of our hot water. It was an easy and enjoyable project and should enhance the appeal of our house when the day comes to sell.

As for all that grass, why don't you get a couple of goats? They are friendly and low-maintenance and will happily munch through most vegetation, some will even give you milk if you wish and can bear the taste. They are escape artists though so your boundary will need to be good.

All I can say RigidRaider is start looking for somewhere. I think it might be hard to find exactly what you are wanting without having to sort out some of what you want when you have found somewhere and moved. I appreciate what you are saying you want but I think you will find it hard to find exactly all of that exactly where you want it. Like you I wanted a workshop big enough for being able to work on cars and bikes and also for other projects and our place actually had a decent sized garage which unfortunately lost its roof during a storm whilst we were negotiating the sale.
xkkxTeZ.jpg

The downside is that at the moment its just sat there as you can see part of it in the photo above but the upside is that it means I can get rid of it all together and build exactly what I want and am actually in the process of drawing it right now.
PWFcTh8.png

We had to make some compromises because we knew the 'ideal' place does not exist (Unless of course you have limitless funds) What we will end up with hopefully though is exactly what we want but it is just going to take some time is all.
We have had the whole house rewired and re-plumbed but I am sure we will make small additions or modifications as we go because you just cant predict what you will want different as you move forward. As for the insulation I will be following this post up in more detail in regard to what I have done so far inside the house but it is similar to what your ideas are.

Funnily enough across the Loch that is just across from us there is a cottage that is uncannily almost what you are looking for. A couple from Lancashire bought it and completely renovated it to a high standard and it is set up for living downstairs if needed because the wife had a stroke a year or so ago. We went to look at it as my mother is interested in moving here also and its a lovely place with a lovely outbuildings which would do almost exactly what you want. One of which was purpose built for a weaving machine as that is what the lady did before she had a stroke.

As for neighbours..well there are people not far away from anywhere here but the beauty is you hardly if ever see them unless you go out of your way. I spent three hours in the garden on Thursday just gone and saw no one and not a single car passed but I know they are there if need be. Doctors...15 minutes to the surgery...hospital and airport are another 10-15 minutes further. And its always that length of time because traffic is not just light its pretty much non existent. I did a 24 mile round trip a couple of weeks ago and saw two cars. Ok that was less than usual admittedly but if it had been even double figures id have been surprised. Internet at the moment isnt great because its via satellite and having been used to superfast fibre its poor in comparison but you can still do pretty much what most people want and fibre is coming as its being worked on now. At the end of the day as well...I have way more to do than sit staring at a computer for hours. I haven't even turned my tv on days...but that is just me!

As for getting a goat....you can forget it! I grew up on a farm and one thing I learnt is that animals never ever do what you want them to do especially goats.. From first hand experience they will eat anything and everything before they eat what you want them too and there is very well established garden here that has obviously taken many years to get to how it is and you could guarantee a goat would destroy it in days.
I think I will stick with my mowing and strimming! :)

When I get time I will update this thread with more progress on the house.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Awesome build & thread, following to see progress on your 3 car garage as I want one also...

Can I suggest you consider planting some trees? Perhaps just fruiting ones, I think they would suit the scenery loads!

Awesome build & thread, following to see progress on your 3 car garage as I want one also...

Can I suggest you consider planting some trees? Perhaps just fruiting ones, I think they would suit the scenery loads!

I can see where you are coming from in regard to the trees but there is no way those sort of trees would prosper here.
Steady Winds of 40-50mph are common most the year round and in winter even higher with gusts of 80mph + a regular occurrence. 100mph + has been known often also although I haven’t seen it yet. Add the sea air into the equation which burns the leaves of anything exposed to it and you don’t get anything much growing.
Those that do grow are very stunted and take many years to grow even to head height.

In regard to garage it could still be a few years away I’m afraid but will definitely update this thread.

ESB

What a fantastic achievement! You do indeed have the gonads of a Right Whale (look it up!)

Thoroughly enjoyed your thread and I'm sure I will continue to do so.

Best of luck with everything.

Seeing as I had an email notification saying someone had posted on this thread I figured I should do an update. Without reading everything I have already posted all over again I will go over briefly what I have been doing and hope I dont repeat myself.

1) Slightly modified our existing kitchen area so as it is more user friendly
2) Completly gutted the second floor attic and insulated roof.
3) Gutted one bedroom on first floor and returned to useable condition.
4) Removed Shower due to leaks.

I will go into greater detail but not all in one go because it will take me hours. I only have the time to sit at the computer now because we have all been struck down by a flu type virus that has knocked us all for six this last two weeks or so and have not felt up to doing a great deal lately.

Our kitchen is on the back of the house (see the plans of house in one of my previous posts in this thread) It has very much seen its best days but is serving us ok for now and will be ok until we have our new kitchen fitted in the actual house. It will be quite some time before that happens though as lots of other jobs are going to be done first. Kitchens are my absolute favourite room as well so it has to be right and will take a lot of thought so we are not rushing it. Probably because I grew up on a farm and the kitchen was the hub of the house from dawn until dusk and have many fond memories.
So for now we are making do but it needed some slight modifications. Due to the place being empty for so long it had gotten damp and the vinyl floor was falling apart so obviously that had to go. A few of the cupboards were falling apart also so some were removed completly and others made good. The floor is concrete and had a damp proof fitted beneath it but where it joins onto the existing house (Kitchen was added years later from existing house) there was concrete through into house that obviously hadnt any damp proof as it was almost constantly wet. This being in the actual house meant it was not good at all so needed sorting albeit just temporary for now. The rest of the downstairs is timber joists straight onto soil so this will need doing as well but again is a future job.
The added on kitchen is also higher than the house itself which means it ramps down into it also just to complicate things further. Not by much but enough. there was also a lip at the edge of this ramp which meant that when we replaced the vinyl floor it would need smoothing out or would cause issues.
I will let the photos explain better.

Y3uQjGn.jpg

Here you can see the cupboards I removed eventually and also the old floor covering. The doorway on the left is into the house and is where it ramps down to the wet concrete. Just through that door on the right you can see a door that leads under the stairs into a small storage room which was also very damp and broken concrete flooring.

eml4EsK.jpg

Her it is with cupboards and flooring removed. The walls are staying like that for now as its pointless creating myself more work when it will be changed completly in the future anyway.

r4FQVi3.jpg

This shows where the water pipe comes in from outside and also a hole left in the floor for reasons unknown. A new stop tap was fitted as the existing one is seized and those who continue to follow this thread will hear more about this in the future.

oFAE6my.jpg

Offending hole filled in as I was putting one of the better cupboard here to help support the sink as it was pretty much jammed in place and not very user friendly.

reFtlTR.jpg

This is how the kitchen looks now and what we are using for the forseeable future. (New floor not in yet)

Qm0569j.jpg

And a panoramic photo giving idea of whole room.

dI6K4TR.jpg

This is the ramp from kitchen into house I had to do so the new floor would fit ok. You can see how damp the concrete looks further on.

7q2Ltwj.jpg

I had to build a bridge over the wet concrete as it would have been a real pain getting into the kitchen by walking around the outside of the house and the dogs would never have been able to stop walking in it either.

QmaZ1dG.jpg

Here you can see that it has dried out considerably as I had a heater sat in there every evening for a few days prior to sealing it to stop the damp coming through. The downside of the ramp is that me being a tad over 6ft is I can bang my head on the door frame if I time my steps wrong as I walk through it. In the future though all this will be broken out and redone properly but for now it will have to do.

rabXy6Y.jpg

This is the storage area under the stairs which again was very damp. I decided to put a dampproof membrane down and concrete over it as it was lower than the existing hallway floor.

r4Wc5Tt.jpg

Concreted and leveled.

After everything had dried out and cured properly I covered it all with a rubber based membrane liquid. I cant recall proper name but it wasnt cheap. It has done a great job though and will do until we sort it out in the future.

NtgH2v1.jpg

You can see the painted on product here. This is actually dry and ready for the flooring to go down.

Yyq7eIY.jpg

And the new (temporary floor) Its just a cheap lino but it was needed as just bare concrete isnt very user friendly especially when little toddlers feet are involved.

Tft8cPZ.jpg

And through into the house.

This was a very much a 'make do' job and is in no way a reflection of other work to be done in the house but was something that needed doing to make day to day life a little easier. Eventually this room will become more of a utility type area and somewhere we come into first from the outside and get cleaned off (both us and dogs) before going into the house proper so as to keep the outside world 'out' as best we can.
That covers pretty much most of what was done over a couple of weeks when I had time to do it and is how it is now. Most importantly there is no damp anymore and actually nice to walk around on in comparison to how it was before.

I will endeavour to update on other jobs I have done as soon as possible!

Andy

It's great to catch up with your progress. However, I cannot see the images you have posted. I shall try and get a mod to look at it.

Hi and that is odd. I use imgur to host my photos and they are working fine on a blog I have been doing on this project so I am not sure what has happened.
I will try a test image here and see if it works .
And no it does not show up when I do a preview. Hope it gets sorted.
EDIT It also seems that I cant edit any of my posts on here either. Is that normal?

No, you can usually edit your own stuff. Maybe you are not logged in?

I can now see your images. Great stuff, thank you very much!

Oh good!
Must have been a back end error somewhere.
I was logged in when I tried to edit them as well. Still don’t get the option to edit them now but that’s not a problem as long as photos are showing now.
I will update when I get more time
Andy

What an amazing place - house and location. Would you mind saying how much you paid for it? I must admit I lust after the quiet life. Work and young kids at school keep me locked into the rat race. I suppose this is something I could aspire to in 15 years when kids have flown the nest...... or not!

Keep the pics and updates coming. Love it.

You are so Lucky...
Good luck to you and enjoy your location - I think it's great and follow your reports with interest. It's even better that your family like the location as well.
Like you where I was raised did not have close neighbours. Whilst we live in a village it's in a modern development. Wifey loves it - but it's driving me nuts; the longer I'm here the more I want to move.

Would you mind saying how much you paid for it?
Keep the pics and updates coming. Love it.

Thank you. You have prompted me to do a little update as I tend to get busy and forget to keep this up to speed. I had email notification when you posted and thought Id best post a bit more.
It was £108,000. But there was some issues regarding part of the land it was on having to be purchased because it was discovered that it wasn't strictly part of the property. I cant recall the details because Liz sorted it all out but regardless I know that we eventually paid the 108.
We were talking today about the value of houses here and they seem to be increasing slowly but at the end of the day they are only worth what someone is prepared to pay and of course you need somewhere else to live and having moved here its very much a one way trip because moving back to where we came from would be a significant downsizing exercise but to be honest I would never go back and even if we had to move again for whatever reason it would be somewhere similar or even more remote if we could.

Without re reading my previous threads to check and in danger of repeating myself I will apologise if I say things I already have. With Liz working and me looking after our (now) 22 month old daughter who currently is in a spica cast (both legs and across tummy) as she has hip dysplasia and then also two Dobermans to walk daily my chances of working on the house are sporadic to say the least. I am way behind in keeping this up to date and chronologically wise probably way out of order.

I started on what we had been calling 'The Pink Room' because of the pink carpet it had. It is bedroom 1 if you look at the plan images at the beginning of this thread and is 11ft by 14ft. When we first viewed the house it was ok but due to the condition of the roof and its leaking issues by the time we owned the place part of the ceiling had succumb to water damage and there was a hole in it. Obviously this meant it needed sorting and after a quick look I decided that it was going to be easier to remove the complete ceiling and start over because it was going to be nigh impossible to make it look right by patching it up. During removal I found that the gable wall had been covered over in the past and one thing led to another and decided to remove it completely and start afresh. It seemed a sensible thing to insulate the exterior walls at this point as well and a simple fix the ceiling job became a full room refurbish.

I started it back in June last year and in between daughter and dogs duties I was working on it on and off each week for a couple of months. I had mentioned previously that the house had zero insulation and it was decided that I should sort the roof out in that regard so had to stop doing it until I had done that. mainly because the only room I had for storing the insulation in was this room! For the sake of continuity I will ignore that though and do a separate post on it and stick with this room from start to finish. I actually finished it in April this year (2018). Photos talk more than words so will let them explain better than I ever can.

VJtHNiH.jpg

Here you can see the ceiling situation and also what was behind the gable wall. The fireplaces as much as look lovely really were not something that were going to be anything more than decorative so will be covered over even though I kept measurements to the location so if in the future we decide to change mind I know where they are.

nScS6w3.jpg

Fireplace as I found it. I think all the cast iron fireplaces had been removed in the past and it was just covered over. I know they used to have fires in all rooms because I have met someone who used to work here and said she used to do all the fires in each room everyday.

a7WqTba.jpg

And after I had tidied the mess up a bit.

JcODche.jpg

Here you can see the ceiling is completely removed and the underside of the attic rooms can be seen.

INSSINK.png

As you can see here I had some assistance. I think she was on quality control duties that day!

859zfBA.jpg

Getting 8ft x 4ft Plasterboard sheets onto a 9ft high ceiling on my own proved challenging so I had to improvise. Its amazing how you can go from being cool and calm to sweating and stressing in less than a minute when doing something like this!

b1xgTCz.jpg

New ceiling up!

hZM6U84.jpg

Starting the battening out of the walls to fit the insulation. 70mm board was used. I had to be inventive with making the battens 70 mm deep and being able to fix them through to the timber uprights behind that supported the original lath and plaster walls.

rR3xyty.jpg

Insulation in place and vapour membrane with first run of plasterboard fitted.

ddPnSPh.jpg

Gable boarded and side wall insulated and ready to be boarded as well.

OCYw8BO.jpg

Not the best of photos but gives an idea.

LxUYnDC.jpg

The widows were surrounded with wood so that was all removed because I needed to insulate and replace with plasterboard. There was also going be a window seat fitted and eventually shutters so I needed to fit timber stud work to enable fitting of those at a later date.

YAMOMXz.jpg

Studded and insulated.

8ihBdB9.jpg

Boards in place.

Now im not a plasterer by any means. I can weld and fabricate steel with the best of them if I put my mind to it but plastering is still very much a dark art to me but I knew I would have to do it when we bought this place.
Before we moved I did a 4 day course on it to point me in the right direction and was fortunate to have a really good teacher who spent a lot of time with me even though there was 12 of us on the course. I don't think I could have done what I have done without his tuition. The hardest part was having ceilings 9ft high and doing it off a step ladder. I really struggled and its not the best job I have ever done but its ok. As I progressed I got better and although a professional would probably pull a face its certainly good enough for my first attempt and I learnt a LOT that I will apply to all the other rooms I have to do here.

VlMmBoQ.jpg

Gable wall and ceiling plastered

ZSnls6T.jpg

Around the window.

hCrqgIx.jpg

More window detail.
I ended up not only plastering the new walls and ceiling but also skimming over the other two internal lath and plaster walls as it was the only way to get rid of all of the blemishes that showed themselves after removing all the wallpaper that was on them. Luckily they were fairly stable as I was a little concerned that I would end up having to remove them completely but luck was on my side.
It was around this stage that it was filled with attic insulation and left as it was for the best part of the winter. In my mind though the worst had been done because I had been dreading the plastering side of things and think that those who do it for a living deserve every penny they get. Interestingly after finishing the plastering I jumped on some forums seeing how people managed doing rooms of the size I had done and in most cases everyone recommended not attempting something on that scale as a first attempt so I felt quite relieved that I was not just being useless and that I had actually done not to bad considering.

Continued below..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back