Living on an Island

That's brilliant and the house looks in fair nick too, like Burnerman I love the staircase.
My wife and I are starting out down the same process as you but, won't be anywhere quite so remote, like yourself, I was brought up in the country and am really looking forward to going back. Lovely part of the country, have never been to Uist but have been to Skye and Harris, many times.
Great project, great move. I wish you luck and look forward to watching your progress.

Sponsored Links
Looks in remarkably good condition, including the roof. And the upper floor rooms look like someone just moved out, last week!
Keep us all posted on the project!

I'm originally from Harris - following this with interest. Material prices are probably a little higher than 'the mainland' but you'll likely find trades to be quite a bit cheaper. However, as suggested, things don't always run to a rigorous timetable... Good luck.

Sponsored Links
Insulated plasterboard to all external walls as you go along and triple glazing if you need new windows and to get insulation to those rooms in the roof it would be ideal to strip the roof. Good Luck.

Well better late than never I guess!
It’s been a long time since I started this post and a lot has happened during that time.
Thanks for the comments that have been made in the last year or so. In regard to the grand designs suggestion I don’t think they would like the timescale involved and seem to go for projects that are different to the norm anyway.
I will sit down over Christmas and bring this all back up to date.
Andy

thanks for getting back to us and letting us how-----?------well not sure what :D
update' pictures 'how great or sad you feel 'regrets or joyous time please share :LOL:
ok sorry missed the will update bit :confused::D

Ok. As promised an update.

A lot has happened since my first visit to these pages with what you have seen above. I will keep it brief because I am sure that it will be boring hearing all the ins and outs of whats been happening.

We decided that it would make sense to have a complete new central heating system fitted (not including radiators) A complete rewire except the top floor but that ended up being done and will go into further detail about that later. And also a complete strip of the roof and rendering and completely redone.

We also had a new addition to the family in August 2016 and I had to have part of my thumb amputated due to an accident at work just before Christmas 2016. The thumb incident was the kick up the backside that got us here full time even though we were due here one way or the other by April as Liz was starting work here then but it just meant we were here slightly sooner than anticipated.

Our intention had been to sell our house back on the mainland but due to us moving sooner and just getting stupid offers we still own it and are renting it out. It is a bit of a pain because the money from the sale was our fund for the work planned here so now we are having to take the slow approach but seeing as I am now a full time father its not been working out too bad. While Liz works I do the full time dad bit and then when she is off I get on with house stuff.

It took most of my time that I had free just keeping on top of the grass cutting and strimming during the summer. The first time that I did a proper cut I mowed both ways to try and get it down low and the app I have on my phone said I had walked just over 8 miles... It has kept me fit! It is a full days job to do it all and often I do it over two days if I can guarantee the weather will be in my favour but working around Liz's shifts is the biggest issue and several times i have had great days where I can only just look at it while playing with my daughter and then have to watch the rain when I am not.

I did get a few other things sorted such as the shed I brought up with me I managed to rebuild which made a big difference because everything was in the house...mowers..tools...etc etc and it was not ideal. We concreted over two areas in the vegetable garden that were originally an old shed base and a rockery type area so i have still one more shed to build which I am hoping will be more a gardening shed than a tool shed which is what the one I have put back up is.

My son was originally intending to move here as well and was going to help me with everything but he decided that he wanted to stay and is doing well in his job and also doing an open university course so although I miss him and the help he would have been I am pleased he is doing OK.

In regards to regrets. None. The only thing I would say is that I miss the people I worked with in my last job. I had only been there 5 years after having worked in a totally different industry prior to that since I left school but had met some of the most genuinely nice people I have ever worked with there and some of the most interesting different projects that I had worked on as well. I cant complain though as I am fully retired at the age of 48 even though I am working just as hard if not harder now that I don't have a job as I did when I had one! I certainly don't miss the traffic and people and can go days if not weeks without seeing another person here and the traffic is non existent almost.

In regards to what I have managed to do inside well due to water ingress (which was why we decided to get roof and walls done) another upstairs ceiling needed sorting and although I had always intended to start at the top and work down Liz wanted it doing because it wasn't really usable as a room with a hole in the ceiling so what I thought would be a simple repair ended up in being a whole project in itself.

Long story short I completely removed the ceiling and replaced it. Insulated and over boarded both outside walls and the plastered the whole room. It currently is 90% done but still requires coving, skirting boards and decorating. The carpet for it is sat in the shop waiting for a phone call for it to be fitted.

The reason it wasn't finished was because last winter we were burning heating oil as fast as they delivered it and the thought of another winter the same meant that insulation in the roof was a priority. With me only being able to work on jobs when Liz was here it meant leaving the room job and starting in the attic. All the insulation was delivered (140mm celotex) and was stacked in that room and I set about stripping three rooms in the attic and all related.

It literally took me weeks to get everything stripped out and tidied up and I have spent the last couple of weeks fitting insulation. I am way behind the schedule I had planned but at least I am getting it done. As per is the rule of sods law...even this project has not been straightforward.

Anyway I have probably bored anyone who bothers to read this to tears by now and will leave it here for now. If anyone is interested I can post some progress photos. Just say the word and also any questions feel free to ask!

Andy and Liz

RABqswU.jpg

You two have hearts like lions (y)
I'm sure I speak for most of us by saying we'd love to see more photos if it's not too much trouble.
I see there's no trees to act as wind breaks there......what do others use for house heating?
Compliments of the season to you both!
John :)

thanks very much
hope your thumb accident will do little more than slow you down a bit and with adapted techniques will still allow your full potential
whilst the rat race can appear to be pure evil and not worth trying its one hell off a change
lets hope going from one extreme to the other works well for you
thankfully you dont have young to teenage children to sulk and sob have tantrums and rebel so you only have each other to cheer up when your peed off(y)
and just remember for every bad day now you will have several in weeks months and years to come to remind you its all worth it

Last edited:
I will start with photos of the outside and apologise if this post is photo heavy. I have just been going through photos of the last three years and didn't realise just how many I have. In regard to the trees here. Well there are pretty much none at all except for a few plantations that I have seen the biggest of which is a 1000 acres and you can just see the edge of it from our house. I did read that the vikings cut all the trees down to stop them making boats here in years past but whether that is true or not I don't know. I think most trees struggle to grow here due to the sea air and the pretty much constant winds. Although we have had two dead calm days this last week a couple of weeks ago we had steady 50-60 mph winds with gusts of 70-80 mph. Gusting well over 100 mph is not uncommon during January storms and was one of the reasons we were keen to get the roof sorted on the house. Typically since it has been done last winter was the best they had had for years and so far this year only one moderate storm has hit.
My thumb is pretty good actually. Fortunately I only crushed the very end of it and I have only lost from the bottom of the nail up. I cant bend it properly but in all honesty I hardly notice it when working even though it constantly feels different and is uncomfortable when cold. Of course it would have been better to not have happened but after 30 years of working in heavy industry it could have been a lot worse.

This year we have managed our heating an awful lot better because in August 2016 Liz's mother moved up here and was living in the house. I never realised that she had the heating set to 'on' permanently and had a tendency to wander outside regardless of the weather and leaving the doors wide open. Of course when we were here full time from end of February the 'door open all the time' soon stopped and I finally realised the heating was always on. Liz's mother has bought her own place now and lives about half a mile away.

Now its set on timer for a couple of hours in the morning/lunchtime and a little longer in the evening. I do think it did the place good to have been heated so much though as its a totally different place to when we bought it. With walls nearly a metre thick it almost acts like a massive storage heater and even when the heating has been off most the day you can walk in from the outside which is currently -2 with wind chill apparently and its lovely and snug. The sooner I get the attic sorted the better though as it has to benefit it even further. Currently I have sealed the top floor off with plastic sheet (mainly for dust reasons originally) and also some celotex boarding and its surprising just how much of a difference that has made. With the staircase open from bottom to top it acted like a chimney and all the hot air went straight up.

Most people here seem to have oil tanks though I have seen one gas tank. I think that a lot of peat is burnt also as you see a lot cut in the summer and many piles around. We are thinking of getting a log/peat burner but that,s in the future and I must admit im not over keen as I know who will be responsible for it....say no more..

SnDvdin.jpg

My thumb after the operation. I don't think you want to see the before one !

oaSFaEA.jpg

And the only photo I could find of it since

aB69RA9.png

I thought I would include this photo because this is how we moved absolutely everything we owned over the course of a couple of years. Of course one trip in a proper removal vehicle would have done it much cheaper but with how everything happened it just was not viable. I looked at second hand trailers but the difference in price between a good second hand one and a new one was nothing. If they were cheap there was a reason. Usually brakes or similar needed attention which by the time you fixed it you were back up to not far off the price of a new one. There is still a few things left at my mothers place which I will collect hopefully sometime next year but literally everything we have was shifted in it. Including one of the sheds and my motorbike.

I ought to add here before I post more photos our decision to have the roof and walls done was because of what you see in the next photo. We had spent Christmas of 2015/16 here and the weather was not bad but was quite windy. You could hear the tiles rattling and due to the poor state of the roof we decided that we would regret it if we did not do something. We had two separate quotes one from a building company and the other from an individual who had been recommended to us by more than one person and it turned out had done repair work in the past to it. Without going into too much detail we were not at all enamoured with the building company because it was just negativity from the word go and Liz just did not like the chap and to be honest I was not overly impressed. The other chap said from the get go that the tiles had never been put on properly in the first place and that he had been many times doing repairs but it was just a never ending task. His quote turned out to be more than the other company but we decided to go with him due to his attitude and reputation. We certainly have not regretted it.

aXJRyb5.jpg

As you can see something was needing to be done.

NYIZTOn.jpg

On the ends some of the sarking needed replacing completely due to having been affected by the water that was getting in (I never took this photo)

nU5K60r.jpg

There were three small velux windows in the roof. Two on the front and one at the back above the stairs. you can see the original size here where the gap is in the middle of the new framework. We decided to replace them with three larger ones and this was something I cocked up on actually because we had a velux fitted in our old house when we had the loft converted and it was one that would pivot in the middle and also hinge from the top. Now I cant remember if I specified that type in our loft conversion or it was what was provided. I suspect I asked for it but honestly cant remember. Well anyway we asked for three bigger ones to be fitted and one of the downsides of not being here while it was being done I never found out until it was finished that the ones we have here just pivot in the middle. It does not really matter because its not like we are going to stand looking out of them all the time but I was annoyed with myself for not checking. Hey Ho (I never took this photo)

gWDB9T8.jpg

Looking down the new front slope where the tiles were loose in first photo (I never took this photo)

zG5rsww.jpg

Same new front slope looking the other way (I never took this photo)

8sVFsQb.jpg

This was just after they had started putting the scaffold up to start on the roof. You can see what the rendering looks like on the gable end that gets the worst of the weather. Also take note what the grass looks like. it had not been touched in several years and I honestly thought it was never going to be anything but a mess for years to come. Because we were hardly there it was a lost cause trying to do anything with it and although I had tried cutting it it just returned to how it was as soon as we left. You can also see the new oil tank in the background. This also was brought up in the trailer as my friend knew someone who gets them at a cheaper price than I could get them so it saved me quite a bit even with transporting it up.

2ua3FZV.jpg

Again you can see the gable here.

uq3xjIu.jpg

This I took when they were removing the old rendering from the gable end. It was literally coming off in big pieces and in a way made me feel better because it was obviously in desperate need to be done.

FUgleml.jpg

This I took the day before we had to catch the ferry back to the mainland and was the first step towards getting it all back on.

gvbDm4w.jpg

The roof was done in this photo but the front rendering was to be done. Again note the grass in this photo. The dog you can see is Willow. We had two Dobermans and a Terrier when these photos were taken. Sadly Willow who was only 5 and we expected to be loving her life here suddenly died due to an unknown tumor on her spleen just a few months later. Our Terrier who was nearly 18 we had put to sleep a couple of months later as he was tired and had had enough. He had an amazing life so no regrets but Willow we all still miss terribly and even writing this makes me sad. Sarge we still have and have another Doberman now who has just turned 1 and is as mad as a box of frogs.

To be continued....

Continuing.....

F0bESam.jpg

New gable. They added bellcast beading to break the area up and make it easier to do.

53cj1ul.jpg

The opposite end gable completed. (I will have to find a 'before' photo for this end and post it as well)

rtAyNps.jpg

This is new rendering on the back of the kitchen/utility.

GHuPCpj.jpg

View of the front and gable I never took this photo)

fQ6JQmx.jpg

The front and other gable (I never took this photo)

IaDd7TW.jpg

I have painted the the front peak and the window cills. Also up the slopes of the gable end and since this photo the once black waste pipes are now green also.

vINUQbK.jpg

We had a lot of starlings using our chimneys as roosting places and not that I mind the birds but the mess they were making on our cars was awful and I had to do something about it as there were 30-40 that I could see each evening up there. Once I eventually managed to get to the pots I found wire in them but not enough to stop them so have a better measure in place until I get proper covers sorted

TKzkLBm.jpg

Now this photo is taken from our bedroom window. I think I have already mentioned before that the road to ours isnt a dead end but it does not really go anywhere and sees very little traffic... just a handful of cars a day usually farm related. Even less people and its not unusual to see no one except our neighbours across the way for days on end. Imagine our surprise to wake up and see this at the bottom of the garden. Apparently a rare cuckoo had drifted here instead of America and people from all over the country were flocking here to see it. They were running about all week and it was rather amusing to see. I was even mentioned on one of the twitcher websites after I started mowing the lawn while they were looking for a corncrake in our garden.

DEpSV2F.png

I think they mean me!

SVTlrMP.jpg

On the subject of mowing you can see here one of my early attempts to tame the beast so to speak. It has very much been a labour of love since we have been here to try and get it looking something like. Using a Sthil Strimmer and a Toro Mower that is nearly as wide as a ride on one I have endeavoured to get the garden a little more manageable.

0y4yrln.jpg

Looking better than it did last year..

dOKE3CC.jpg

From the bottom of the garden

0GF8OVO.jpg

Looking out from our side bedroom window on what was/will be the vegetable garden. The sheep just appeared and have long gone now. The top right of photo shows the area where the shed I brought with me is now.

j03vQId.jpg

Rebuilding the shed

8juxqDY.jpg

Shed built. i will be clading it completly in timber eventually so as it is more pleasing on the eye but for now its ok.

BLEre2x.jpg

Inside said shed!

I think that's enough for now anyway and will end this post with what I saw as I walked out my front door one morning a couple of months ago. We get these all the time but this one just caught me by surprise. (Distorted due to me having to move camera to get it in)
AacuJd8.jpg

Will endeavour to sort some more out soon if demand is there!

Andy and Liz

excellent thank you so much for sharing
i think you have been so so brave to move off course you must follow your heart but within your comfort zone or a bit outside lol
i have been in my mid terrace in surrey now for 35years and love more off the same lol
i hate change other than a small amount but as i am nearly 64 thats what you expect lol
must admit you are far far braver than me but there again i am level no up no downs just steady as you go lol
to be honest i admire your drive where family life and work balance are along with community far more important than money and material posetions life can provide

Last edited:
Excellent work there, thanks again for the update!
I'm not into renewables myself, but I would have thought there's opportunity for a wind turbine / solar array maybe?
How does one get by with septic tank maintenance in those parts?
John :)

I'm not into renewables myself, but I would have thought there's opportunity for a wind turbine / solar array maybe?
Only if it, like most if not all such systems, it is heavily subsidised. And there would still need to be a grid connection.

A while back I listened to
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05v7tqq
about what was done on Eigg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eigg#Electrification_project

This is a larger & diversified system (primarily hydro, supplemented by wind & solar, with batteries for load smoothing) and so should be better than a domestic one. However the only actual reliable part of the system is the diesel generators.

Wikipedia says that the system uses 98% renewables but that is not cited. In the programme one resident said that the previous year it was 98% renewable but later someone involved in running the system said that renewables actually supply only 90% of the electricity. And that time is not scattered throughout the year but is concentrated in the summer, when low water levels & light winds mean that the hydro & wind are not generating.

And 2% is over 7 days with no renewable electricity, 10% is well over a month of no renewable electricity.

For all this the people have what you & I would call a rubbish system, limited to 5kW or two heating devices at any one time. So when the electric immersion is on you can have the kettle on or the toaster but not both.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back