Our project: changing a pebble garden

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hello!

Coming spring, we want to change our pebble garden and add more green. Ive attached a picture of the garden and tried to show what we wish to do. Basically, we want to keep the pebbles under the Gazebo (and maybe in front of the shed door) and make a little pathway to the house. But the rest should be turned into a lawn, where - ideally - we can plant a small cherry tree (red circle on the picture).

That said, the pebble garden came with the house, so I don’t know how it is laid out underneath. I’m assuming that there should be some kind of mesh to prevent weeds coming through, but I need to check. The plan was, to remove the pebbles, get some soil and plant grass seeds, but as we have never transformed a pebble garden before, I was wondering if you guys have any useful tips or suggestions (e.g. do we leave the mesh in? How much soil should we use? What are typical mistakes?). Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Attachments

• D0998740-58C3-40BF-96F0-B2B6D7B8BFE6.jpeg
    D0998740-58C3-40BF-96F0-B2B6D7B8BFE6.jpeg
    120.4 KB · Views: 108
Sponsored Links
It looks more like a gravel yard than a pebble garden, for a start, and is your location for the cherry tree in the best position for light? Which way will the sun rise/set? What type of cherry tree will it be, as some require different locations than others. How much light, overall, will your yard get to bring out the best in your grass and you'll need to consider the type of soil required for the grass to grow well.
Find a qualified landscaper for in-depth analysis and advice.

Hello,

Sorry for the late reply, it has been hectic. Our garden is south facing, so we get a lot of sunlight all day, but we have now decided to change the shed in a year or two. That said, we are putting this project on hold until the new shed is here (figured it makes no sense to create a nice green garden, when it will probably be ruined during the works on the new shed). We will then follow your advice and call a landscaper to help with the planning. So for now, we will be working with pots to make everything a bit more interesting.

thanks!

PS: Sorry for the pebble/gravel mixup. English is not my first language :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back