Laying a new lawn.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am laying a new lawn in our newly built house.

At present all that is laid is what I think is builders soft core (small stones in pink gritty mud) with pebbles laid on top of that. I want to dig up alot of this and lay a lawn. Thing is I do not want to end up with a huge mud pool because of any problems with drainage.
The garden has a slope off at one side and a rise on the other so in theory the water should just go acorss it and down the other side.

My question is how far should I dig down and lay soil to put the seeds on? I would like to end up with a fairly good quality lawn.
Also is it just a top soil I need to add or does anyone reccomend something else?

Sponsored Links
you need to establish what the soil is under all teh builders crap. If you are on clay, then think of it like a draining board. the water will run across the surface and down, but will end up somewhere, ie the bottom of the garden, so some drainage may be required there.

best option once the drainage is sorted is to lay the lawn on a good layer (at least 100mm) of sandy loam. Its what decent turf is grown on and it will allow you to get the lawn perfect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back