Ourdoor Bar ! Slab top counter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am building a patio bar now ( dumped the raised bed idea on patio )
I have built it with soft wood sleepers 2.4 long. For the counter top I want to use stone slabs or simalar. My question is how should I attach the slabs to the sleeper base ? Can I use a cement ( slabs to sleeper ) or should I use brackets of some kind and screw into the slabs from beneath and into the sleeper base, or both ! ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi

Thanks. Where do you use the sealant ? I need to find our the best way of attaching the slab top to the sleeper base

Thanks

I would have thought that putting it between the two things you are trying to stick together might make sense.

Sealant is flexible and very sticky and will, if you choose an exterior frame sealant, withstand the weather.

Cement, a you put it, wont stick to the wood very well at all. Sealant will allow you to set the slabs so they are level.

Sponsored Links
Stone slabs are not very thick. Problems when screwing into them, I think.

i would drill a hole maybe 8mm all the way through the slab and use those big screws with a bolt head you can get them in different lengths. I used them to make a raised bed with sleepers they work very well and are much stronger than sealant, you don't want the slab falling off.

good luck

well there you are, OP. Lots of ideas. Do come back and tell us which one you went for.

i would drill a hole maybe 8mm all the way through the slab and use those big screws with a bolt head you can get them in different lengths. I used them to make a raised bed with sleepers they work very well and are much stronger than sealant, you don't want the slab falling off.

good luck

coach bolts they are. I think this is your best bet. Counter sink and depending on the slabs you could finish over the bolt squite neatly if you needed to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back