out side electrics please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone.. i hope someone can help me with my question

i have 3 sheds at the end of my garden.. 2 kids wendy type wooden type swiss log cabin type houses, and a regular garden wooden shed, which is my workshop, and tool shed..
i have run a 2.5mm 3 core armoured cable from each of them, running it from the last house, then to the next and then.. the the first one.. from there i have run the armoured cable along the edge of the garden, and buried it into the soil at around a foot deep or more..
now, where do i go from here?..
what do i need? how do i link the cable to the house?..
shall i run a cable from the main fuse box, at the front of my house?.. do i just run a spur off the back of the house - from the downstairs ring socket supply?.. but fit a breaker trip switch - like a mini fuse box? then run a cable trought the wall, to the outside and junction box fix it to the armoured cable
it should be noted that the outside power supply is only for lighting the log cabins or my tool shed from time to time, in the winter months. when it gets dark in the late afternoons.
do i need to use conduit in the cabins / out houses?..or is a lose but fix with cable cilps along the route of the cable?
do need to use conduit on the exposed armoured cable, then it will come up from the ground and along my brick work?

Sponsored Links
Hi Jay what you need here is a Qualified Electrician External Electrics are definately NOT for the DIYer..too many safety aspects to consider.

hi there ericmark..

mmm not sure either now lol.

i am simply wanting to get power out to the 3 sheds,

for lighting, but i know the legislation is somewhat complex, and yes i am not sure on it all..

just not sure on what i need.. and what i am meant to do next.. shall i just get a sparky in, to advise on what can be done and get them to do the work.

Sponsored Links
ok got it.. i think that is best.. not like when we were kids and we would simply run a cable here..run a bit there..and hey presto...we have light lol..only kidding :LOL:
cheers..
i will bookmark this and see what ayone else comes up with..
but i think i will make a call in the morning

cheers again

Most Electricians don't like digging holes and will often allow you to do donkey work. But you basicly work for them as a sub contractor that way they have the control required under Part P.

thats ok then..as i have buried the armoured cable.. already.. a per rules n regs..
its just the fidly stuff i am going to get a sparky in, to do.

i have run a 2.5mm 3 core armoured cable from each of them, running it from the last house, then to the next and then.. the the first one.. from there i have run the armoured cable along the edge of the garden,
What's the total length of the cable?

and buried it into the soil at around a foot deep or more..
Not really deep enough.

thats ok then..as i have buried the armoured cable.. already.. a per rules n regs..
How exactly have you buried it?

How did you find out what the "rules n regs" are?

Did you take photos to show the electrician?

its just the fidly stuff i am going to get a sparky in, to do.
It doesn't work like that - don't be too surprised if you can't find anybody prepared to take responsibility for the work you did. :confused:

Well, you might, times are hard right now. But you will easily find somebody prepared to take responsibility for connecting it up at both ends and noting down that the SWA was already there and buried, and all the tests that could reasonably be expected to make on the cable passed. After all, how would a BS7671 person otherwise add a socket to a ring when he didn't put the ring in? Allhe can do is inspect/test the existing installation and say it passed. Nobody expects him to chop into the plaster to make sure the existing ring was installed correctly.

Now this approach may not be Part P legal for the OP, it may not get past a smart solicitor representing the next purchaser, but you can be pretty sure it will be a lot safer than a lot of existing shed installations and the electician will have covered his ass.

Hi te all..

kinda at a loss with this site..

i remember reading the other week, on here - someone stating that the armourd cable must be at least 400mm deep, when being buried in the soil..so guess what?.. i did just that.. i buried it..400 - 450mm maybe 500mm in some areas deep.. without the warning tape.

so a sparkie with full 17th cert - came over today, and said 600mm is the minimum spec allowed?... and must also have a hazzard type tape placed on top of it, should anyone dig the garden up, so it will warn them of the cable? is he right... or just pulling my choz

i am kinda wondering, who knows what is really needed!! on here.
and are the answers that are given on here in very good faith..and read and taken in, in good faith..are somewhat of a wrong faith for us readers on posters on here, to be following.

a pinch of salt, is needed me thinks.

Yes there should be warning tape.

I'm not sure where it was missed out, or for what reasons, but you will not find a post on here telling you NOT to install the warning tape.

Also, you will find hundreds upon hundreds upon hundereds, and more still of posts on here telling people every single time to check their proposals with their intended electrician, as their interpritation of the regs may be slightly different to ours, and they are the one who has to sign the paperwork to say the job is safe.

There is no set cable depth in BS7671, but normally 450mm deep will be fine for a domestic garden.

Perhaps your electrican has seen something with his eyes by actually being on site, which we couldn't see through the internet, or work out that there are other requirements in your situation on the thread you didn't start, and the photos you didn't post, and has decided that this warrants the cable being burried to 600mm deep.

I have specced cables much deeper than this previously due to specific risks associated with particular sites.

Exellent reply there .. RF .to Jays rather ungratious post. I agree with every point you make well done , and come on Jay be fair mate !

kinda at a loss with this site..

i remember reading the other week, on here - someone stating that the armourd cable must be at least 400mm deep, when being buried in the soil..so guess what?.. i did just that.. i buried it..400 - 450mm maybe 500mm in some areas deep.. without the warning tape.
But that's not what you first said:

buried it into the soil at around a foot deep or more..
A foot deep is not 400 - 450mm, which is why I said "not really deep enough"...

so a sparkie with full 17th cert - came over today, and said 600mm is the minimum spec allowed?... and must also have a hazzard type tape placed on top of it, should anyone dig the garden up, so it will warn them of the cable? is he right... or just pulling my choz
He's right about the tape.

As for depth, there is no prescription, just deep enough to be safe from digging that could reasonably be expected. Some examples of mistakes people make concerning that:

Burying it at shallow depth as it's under a hedge, ignoring the very real possibility that if ever the hedge is grubbed up a mechanical digger might be used.

Having it barely any depth below a concrete path or patio, ignoring the very real possibility that if the concrete is removed breakers and/or diggers might be used.

i am kinda wondering, who knows what is really needed!! on here.
and are the answers that are given on here in very good faith..and read and taken in, in good faith..are somewhat of a wrong faith for us readers on posters on here, to be following.

a pinch of salt, is needed me thinks.
If you want this electrician to sign it off it'll have to be at the depth he wants - that's how it works.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back