1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Outdoor Electrical Ground Box

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by poolballboy, 2 Sep 2021.

1. poolballboy

poolballboy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Afternoon All.

I have a pond in the garden that has two pumps operating in it. Currently the pumps are ran on an outdoor extension from the house which works fine but does not look great.

So I have had a 6mm2 armoured cable ran from the fuse box to the garden next to the pond. I would like to dig in a ground box and either hard wire in or plug in the pumps direct to the ground box. Would anybody be able to recommend a ground box that would be suitable for such an application?

Thanks

2. Sponsored Links
  3. ericmark

ericmark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Blagdon do a pond system designed to get around the old Part P regulations, still valid in Wales, that seems to be a reasonable way around the problem.

4. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The Blagdon boxes are not designed to be in the ground.
    Personally I would avoid placing electrical boxes in the ground. Unless you know what you are doing then there will be water ingress and problems.....

Find an out of the way place to put a suitable outdoor junction box. Assuming you dont want additional switches then The Wiska boxes are made for the job.
    https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Manufacturers/Wiska/Junction_Boxes_1/index.html

5. bernardgreen

bernardgreen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Totally agree

The boxes are rated at IP67. ( temporary immersion in water ) but for the whole of the underground cabling to be safe then the conduits and all fixings have to also be IP67 as well. No use having an IP67 box if water can ingress via a gland that is a poor fit onto the conduit.

6. markyd1

markyd1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If your running in a new circuit for the pumps you will need to notify building control and issue an EIC

7. securespark

securespark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have to say this is not really practical for a pump application connecting appliances that will need periodic disconnection , but I have had great success with a box buried underground to extend a feed to a post light. I used magic gel and it has presented no problems at all in the many years since.

8. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    How will the 6mm cable be connected to the supply? your pumps will only need an amp or two, so a small fuse is all that’s needed for them.

if it’s only two pumps, why 6mm? Is there something else you aren’t telling us. ?

9. Sponsored Links