Outdoor electrical roller shutter rear yard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've searched everywhere and can't find the answer to the questions below

I would like to have an external shutter installed however I have been told electrictrics isn't something they sort out and I would need an electrician.

The will install the shutter however leave the nvr control unit on the wall next to the shutter with a 1.5m cable. My question is, is the NVR unit safe there? Surely its not waterproof and secondly can someone get in to the rear yard and open the shutter by pressing the button. Secondly can I just extend the cable using a junction box (ip68) and plug it to my kitchen? If so how would I protect the wiring outside?

Finally is there anything else I would need to do to protect the electrical part of the installation outside?

I will be getting the electrical part done by an electrician however having prior knowledge when speaking to him will help.

Thank you

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I would find another company. One who can provide the information.

I would not be surprised if they expect you to provide an electrical feed at a certain point so their engineer could make the connection.

there are outdoor shutters, but some are “indoor only” in that they expect the building to provide shelter.
There are weatherproof enclosures that could be used

Thanks for your reply, the company have said the will install the shutter, provide the NVR and it will also have a 1.5m cable.

I would have to find an electrician who would place the NVR in a waterproof enclosure and also run the cable by extending in to the house.

Is this a wise idea and how safe would the nvr be outdoors from an intruder safety point of view.

Sponsored Links
Put it in a lockable waterproof box …..like most electric gate controllers ….

55E3448B-850E-4C87-A2AD-E6BBF890B225.png

Thanks appreciated!! Last questions, apologies is advance.

There are no knockouts or holes for the cable to feed in/out.
Would they just need to be drilled

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back