Outdoor Electrics - water ingress

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, about 3 years ago I put an outside 4 way weatherproof switch on a wall. I wired in a pond pump, ultraviolet light and 2 spare. All had been working well until I went to switch it back on today after its winter off. It tripped the rcd that it is attached to inside the house. I have now discovered that some water has gotten into the switch and pooled by the earth wires clamp. It has obviously been there a while as it has turned a nice wet rusty colour. I have tried to dry it and get it going but it still trips out the rcd. Is my pump now broken? Will I need to replace the switches or will it work once it has dried?

Any help is appreciated as a new pump will be £300!

Sponsored Links
how can your pump be broken? it sits in water 24 /7

a multi meter will be of no use since it can not read at the right voltage to detect a L-E or N-E short

your box has either leaked or its condensation.

I would get a new one and drill small holes in the down side facing side

filters should be left on 24/7 even through winter, more info is here

Sponsored Links
looks like you need a new switch.

In future drill a drain hole in the bottom of the box. No seal is perfect and you really don't want to create the situation where once water gets in it never gets out.

i guess plugwash is just agreeing with me then :)

thats 2 people that said drill holes, and 2 people that said leave filter on 24 / 7

I don't think I agree with this:

how can your pump be broken? it sits in water 24 /7

I find lots of RCD tripping faults due to faulty pumps.

Or did I misinterpret what you said?

you missinterpreted what i said.

good pumps just give up the ghost. i have only ever had one trip an rcd, even then it wasnt the pump itself but the float swicth on the pump, still it served its life, i sliced it open

Thanks for your advice everyone. I am going to try and replace the switch before I replace the pump, and I will be drilling a hole this time. The pump is an OASE Aquamax, purchased 5 years and 1 month ago, it had a 5 year garauntee! Typical.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back