Outdoor kitchen - block seating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I am getting started on my outdoor kitchen and have built up a block bench, do you think the rear wall of the bench will be strong enough or should I double block it?
I probably could have incorporated more arm rests that tie into the wall for strength but it didn't occur to me till I had finished..(it's my first time laying blocks/pavers)

thumbnail_image0.jpg

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Would be stronger if they were laid on their backs (so twice as thick) over time I suspect yours will crack and blocks will come off.

Put some gripper rods on the back, to encourage guests not to lean back.:LOL:

Also I wouldn't have used those lightweight blocks...

Oh pants :(
Perhaps I will rebuild it at some point then..
I was planning on using the same blocks to build up my kitchen counter, which of course will be subject to downward pressure and not lateral, something like this;
1fcac143ad0f1203670cf7cf620f9286.jpg

Sorry to say it but that seat looks about as comfortable as a church pew :censored:

Sponsored Links
Yep, at least church pews you know you're only stuck there for half an hour or something. Presumably there's something meaty supportion the back of the paving slabs?

Yep, at least church pews you know you're only stuck there for half an hour or something. Presumably there's something meaty supportion the back of the paving slabs?
Yep, a big concrete slab that I poured to try and slow down nextdoors bamboo shoots

So I started building up my kitchen/bbq counter on the right.
Whilst I was out I checked the state of the bench back rest and as expected it’s about as sturdy as a 3 legged donkey, a couple of blocks didn’t bond properly but Ive come to learn that the blocks should be brushed with water to stop them sucking moisture out of the mortar.
Any suggestions on how to rebuild it stronger, perhaps just lay the blocks flat/on their wider side?
Thanks in advance!
EF545F7F-AED6-4855-B697-83595F3B227C.jpeg

With laying them on their backs, you can thicken up the back/arms, and stagger the joints so make a proper corner joint, this will beef it all up.

Rendering them may help, but they don't take render well, either. Sorry.

If you are to perserve with them, get a trug filled with water and dunk the block in for a minute or two, might help with suction.
Use plasticer, in your mortar mix.

It's a pity as looks like you've made a good go at it.(y)

You could get 'normal' breeze blocks for your seating, and use the thermolites for your kitchen counter construction, the themolites will be ok for the sample picture you previously posted.

Thanks Chibs, appreciate the pointers.
I’ll give laying them on their backs a go before going the normal block route.
I was planning on rendering the lot, best way to learn is the hard way right…

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back