outdoor lantern wiring

Yes it would, but seriously, just use a standard lighting plate switch. There is no benefit at all in over specifying.

Sponsored Links
Yes it would, but seriously, just use a standard lighting plate switch. There is no benefit at all in over specifying.

:D I'm always guilty of overspecifying. I'm gonna give the standard light switch way a go and let you guys know how it goes. The lantern is designed for the great outdoors anyway so should hold up against the elements well.

Thanks everybody for all your help.

:D I'm always guilty of overspecifying. I'm gonna give the standard light switch way a go and let you guys know how it goes. The lantern is designed for the great outdoors anyway so should hold up against the elements well.

Thanks everybody for all your help.

I just dont understand it - I've connected everything up as expected but turning the porch light on turns on the hall light also and the Porch light comes on really dim. Any ideas?

You have wired the hall light to work in series with the outside somehow......

Describe what you have done.

Twin & earth from hall pendent to switch and then from switch to outside light. In the switch, the reds(browns) to the switch, black(blue) in a terminal block. At the pendent, live to the central loop terminal, and neutral to the neutral side??

Sounds like you have put the neutral on the switched live of the pendent. Maybe the pendent drop flex is wired back to front - fairly common to see this. The brown of the flex drop should be with the black core which is hopefully sleeved red.

Sponsored Links
You have wired the hall light to work in series with the outside somehow......

Describe what you have done.

Twin & earth from hall pendent to switch and then from switch to outside light. In the switch, the reds(browns) to the switch, black(blue) in a terminal block. At the pendent, live to the central loop terminal, and neutral to the neutral side??

Sounds like you have put the neutral on the switched live of the pendent. Maybe the pendent drop flex is wired back to front - fairly common to see this. The brown of the flex drop should be with the black core which is hopefully sleeved red.

Brilliant!! Done it and works fine. Thanks for the help everyone. Much appreciated :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back