outdoor lantern wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've bought an outdoor lantern to fit on my front porch which only has an LEN connection. I know its possible to connect via a junction box connected to the lighting circuit or via an FCU spur off a power socket but..

Can I connect a FCU to an existing ceiling rose and connect the lantern to the FCU?

Thanks

Ps. If I have to use the junction box route - should I use a 5A or 20A 4 terminal JB?

Sponsored Links
If connecting into the lighting circuit an FCU will not be required.

Hi

Thanks for answering. I know a junction box is the easiest way of doing this but what I was wondering is can I:

1. Connect the 2 core and earth wire to the hallway ceiling rose as if I'm connecting a new ceiling rose.

2. Connect that wire to a switched FCU and then connect the FCU to the lantern's LEN.

It just seems so simple and means all connections will always be accessible without having to lift flooring etc, rather than having a junction box hidden away under the floorboards. And I'd be able to turn the lantern on and off with the switch on the FCU. What do you think?

Ps. If I have to use the junction box route - should I use a 5A or 20A 4 terminal JB?

Well you can take a supply from an exisiting ceiling rose into a normal light switch then to the outside light, In the back box for the switch you just join the neutrals in connector block. This saves having a joint box under the floor which is not a good idea incase it needs to be inspected in the future.

Sponsored Links
Well you can take a supply from an exisiting ceiling rose into a normal light switch then to the outside light, In the back box for the switch you just join the neutrals in connector block. This saves having a joint box under the floor which is not a good idea incase it needs to be inspected in the future.

Brilliant - having connections under floorboards is exactly what I wanted to avoid!n And have I got it right?
circuitwo5.gif

Also, is this method safe and within regs however?

Also, if I use a 5A FCU doesn't this provide a home for the neutrals and an extra level of protection? I'd like that seeing as the lantern will be outside and subject to the lovely weather we have all year round. :confused:

Yes the diagram you have drawn is correct. If you wanted to have some extra protection then instead of a FCU you could use a double pole switch which will isolate both the Live and Neutral conductors.
Everything you propose will comply with the regs.

Yes the diagram you have drawn is correct. If you wanted to have some extra protection then instead of a FCU you could use a double pole switch which will isolate both the Live and Neutral conductors.

Thanks streetlighter you've been a great help :D

How is that giving extra protection?

Just use a standard 1 way switch with a terminal block for the neutral. This complies 100% with the regulations.

Just use a standard 1 way switch with a terminal block for the neutral. This complies 100% with the regulations.

Ok I know I'm being a bit too persistant and maybe being a bit extra with this but can I use a 5A FCU? I like the idea of it cutting out should there be any problems with the lantern due to the weather etc.

It is entirely pointless in my opinion. There is not really enough discimination between a 3 or 5 amp bs1362 fuse and either of the 3036, 3871, 60898, 1361 that you are likely to find in your consumer unit. It would be a 50/50 gamble as to which device operated first.

It is entirely pointless in my opinion. There is not really enough discimination between a 3 or 5 amp bs1362 fuse and either of the 3036, 3871, 60898, 1361 that you are likely to find in your consumer unit. It would be a 50/50 gamble as to which device operated first.

Thanks for that - by terminal block I take it you mean a 5A connector block?

By removing the chance of a neutral to earth short taking out any RCD when the external lamp is damaged and repair is delayed.

True but then regulations only (aim to) give a minimum acceptable level of safety. No harm in going a bit further and making it even safer.

All the double pole switches I have been able to find have been 20A or more. Will this be OK to use on a lighting circuit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back