Outdoor LED strip lights

D

Doggit

I've been asked if I can install some LED strip lights under a recess in someone back garden for some mood lighting in the summer. Having looked into it, I can source covering channels, and connectors for going round corners, and I understand the difference between 2 and 4 wires strips. But I don't really want to have to fit the drivers and control units outside, so are there 240V systems, rather than 12V with drivers available. And what's the difference between 8mm and 10mm strips please.

Sponsored Links
if you search ebay for "commercial led strip" you will see examples of waterproof mains voltage strip.
Its usually like a round sealed rubber tube, rather than the flat stuff you see.
Problem is when you cut it you need the proper end termination, some sellers will cut and seal it to your desired length.
We used to use it a lot for the eaves of pubs

Yes, plenty of mains voltage strips. Nearly always highly waterproof and intended for outdoor use. Watch out for cutting, generally they can only be cut at about 50cm centres. Given that they are mains voltage, they don't need a driver to convert the voltage. just a small rectifier which is generally on the power cord.

The difference between 8mm and 10mm strips is the width :) Other widths also available. Depending on the SMD size, the strip can be made slightly narrower. 6730 and 5050 SMDs generally go on a 10mm strip, 2835s on 8mm, etc. Really it isn't critical except when you are sourcing channels or joiners. The mains voltage strip is generally much wider due to the heavy-duty waterproofing.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that, have you any suggestions for sourcing 240v strips, as I only seem to find the ones that get stepped down to 12V.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back