Outdoor light not responding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

An electrician fitted an outdoor security light for us that comes on at dusk time. He installed a Contactum RCD inside the house that is connected to the security light.

Recently the bulb in the light blew and we found that the brown lever on the RCD had flicked down.

We installed a new bulb and pushed the brown level on the RCD back up but the light is not responding or working still.

There is also a green lever on the front of the RCD on the lhs that when flicked up displays a red window and when flicked down displays a green window.

I do not know how RCD's work and would appreciate any advice on getting the light operational, is there a step-by-step process on resetting the RCD? I have tried searching online but to no avail.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
All the switches in your consumer unit, and the RCD&MCBs should be in the up position. Are they?

If they are then you'll need to look to see if there is another fuse in the circuit. Maybe an FCU installed?

When a bulb blows it can blow a fuse - it's not unusual.

All the switches in your consumer unit, and the RCD&MCBs should be in the up position. Are they?

If they are then you'll need to look to see if there is another fuse in the circuit. Maybe an FCU installed?

When a bulb blows it can blow a fuse - it's not unusual.

Even the green lever on the RCD (thereby displaying the colour red in the small window above the green lever)?

Sponsored Links
Does it work now :?:

Not sure because its a dusk till dawn light. I am not sure where the light sensor is, I tried covering what I thought was it but the bulb didn't light up.

I'll try to update you in a few hours once its gets dark.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back