Outdoor lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Thanks again for all the kind help I've received, it's been thoroughly appreciated. The next step on my renovation is to plan the wiring for some wall mounted outdoor lights and decking lights.

The wall lights will wired in parallel and will be fitted with LED smart bulbs, so I plan to have them on a single pole switch in the house in order to isolate power to the lights if needed. The supply will come from my downstairs lighting circuit which I can access from my upstairs floorboards. With the decking lights, I plan to have a wifi enabled LED driver/controller to power the 12v lights.

I've attached a diagram of how I envisage the wiring would be laid out and I would appreciate if someone could give me a steer whether I'm on the right tracks? (Please ignore the EV charger and CU wiring, thats already been covered in a seperate thread)

My main questions are:

1) Does the wiring plan look ok?
2) Can I still use 1mm2 TE cable for the wall lights, given the housing will be IP44 rated?
3) Can I have the decking lights plugged into a spur socket in my garage through a hole in the mortar or brick, or do they have to be plugged into an outdoor spur socket?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Lighting Design 2.jpg
    Lighting Design 2.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 246
Sponsored Links
A single pole switch will not isolate the lights. If you have a N-E fault in the external light or wiring, turning off a SP switch will not stop the RCD tripping. You need a double pole switch.

A single pole switch will not isolate the lights. If you have a N-E fault in the external light or wiring, turning off a SP switch will not stop the RCD tripping. You need a double pole switch.

Thank you for clarifying that for me. Would a regular light switch be suitable in this instance?

Actually, scrap that. I can see that you can buy double pole light switches.

I didn't think they did double pole light switches.

I was thinking more of a 20A switch, if you can find a nice one

Sponsored Links
I didn't think they did double pole light switches.

I was thinking more of a 20A switch, if you can find a nice one

Andy, you're absolutely right. I stupidly thought it was a light switch, when I saw this (see attached). Do you happen to know if there is usually a module inside these that can be removed and attached to other faceplates?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201007-160921.png
    Screenshot_20201007-160921.png
    352.6 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
If you connect it to a light, it will be a light switch - bit clunkier, I know.

Thank you, that makes sense to me.

Could I please get your thoughts on the query relating to the 12v decking lights and whether I can wire them through a hole in the mortar or a brick into a spur in my garage?

Could I please get your thoughts on the query relating to the 12v decking lights and whether I can wire them through a hole in the mortar or a brick into a spur in my garage?
Well. if you mean the socket to which you will be connecting the lights is itself on a spur, then, strictly speaking, it depends on a few things.

Having said that, a few lights isn't going to make any difference to whatever is there at the moment.

Just a quick update this one. After looking at various decking lights, I have decided that 240V GU10 IP65 rated buried uplighters will be most suitable for the look and flexibility I'm after.

Given the advice above, I have settled on this 20A DP Switch - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VLXDQ20DS.html

However, I just wanted to check if I am ok to run two lighting circuits from the 20A DP Switch (see attached). My plan would be to wire both sets of lights from the DP switch to give me the ability to isolate power in the future and with each set of lights on their own parallel circuit. The decking lights would have a wireless dimmer inline to give me the dimming/smart functionality whereas the wall lights will have smart bulbs, so no need for an inline dimmer. Once I have this resolved, I will check back on the type of cable.

Attachments

• Slide3.JPG
    Slide3.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 173
I have decided that 240V GU10 IP65 rated buried uplighters

IP65 may not be adequate if your lawn gets water laying on it after heavy rain which results in the lamp being immersed in water
upload_2020-12-16_12-5-14.png

If the lamps get water logged and trip the RCD you will lose the lights in the house. In the dark will you ( or who ever is in the house ) be able to find the switch to isolate outside lights and restore the lights in the house ? I would run the outside lights from their own RCBO in the consumer unit.

IP65 may not be adequate if your lawn gets water laying on it after heavy rain which results in the lamp being immersed in water View attachment 214831

If the lamps get water logged and trip the RCD you will lose the lights in the house. In the dark will you ( or who ever is in the house ) be able to find the switch to isolate outside lights and restore the lights in the house ? I would run the outside lights from their own RCBO in the consumer unit.

Thank you. That's really helpful. I do have the option of using an IP67 rated light fitting instead. Slightly more expensive but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Also I've taken on board the advice regarding the RCBO, but it might not be an option for me as I am looking to upgrade the consumer unit when I renovate the Kitchen and the garden lights are part of my first floor works as I can access the wires. I may check to see if I can add a single RCBO to my existing unit and separate the circuit now.

Thank you again.

Quick bump to get a nod on running two lighting circuits from the same 20A DP Switch

Quick bump to get a nod on running two lighting circuits from the same 20A DP Switch

As you have worded the question, no, you cannot - but what you have is not two circuits, downstairs lighting circuit, so yes, you can.

Two circuits would be separate from two circuit breakers when obviously you would not actually be able to have one switch for two circuits.

Plus - you might be able to have just one cable from the DP switch to the first of the dimmers depending on their location.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back