Outdoor Phone Wiring (Technically indoors)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I bought an house in January, I'm not DIY minded at all but funding now tells me I'm going to need to be, on top of that I would actually like to be more capable. In the first 6 months of having the place I barely did anything but I'm now starting to get on with little jobs here and there. One of the things I'd like to sort out is the visible wiring that has been left in the conservatory with tape over it, looking at it I'm guessing it's telephone line wires which would have been where the outside cable comes into the house.

At the moment I don't have a need for the telephone line as I use virgin media but I am hoping to switch from Virgin very soon as I get a bad service where I live, with that in mind the chances are I will need to use a phone line so access to the wires may be important (I don't know).

Just wondering what you lot would do if this mess was in your house. (Hopefully the photo will upload)
view
image1.jpeg

Sponsored Links
That looks an awful lot like a 'block terminal', that has been sunk into the wall (with the lid long gone, of course).

http://www.millsltd.com/block-terminal-66b.html

If I were you, I would dig that box out of the wall and replace it with a 'normal' galvanised single gang box(25mm deep) if the wall is brick...

hgs02-2-f-main-x2.jpg

Or if the wall is hollow, a plasterboard box...

19052.jpg

Either way, you'll have some filling and painting to do after.

Then, if you don't need it yet, you could just put a blank plate over it and forget about it. Or put a BT master socket on there, ready for future use.

You may be able to get one to match your power socket next to it. If you want to do that, turn off the power and open up the socket, you should hopefully find a brand name, a logo, or maybe even a model number on the back, which will help you find out whether they do a matching telephone master socket in that range.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back