Outdoor PIR security light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm new to this forum. There's a communal security light in the car park area at the back of my house (the switch is inside my neighbour's house). The sensor has stopped working (at least I presume it's the sensor, as the light just stayed on constantly), so my neighbour has temporarily switched it off. Is it possible to replace the sensor without getting involved in scary wiring stuff (neither of us is confident about messing around with electricity!!)... :) or do we need to fork out for an electrician?

Huge thanks in advance for any advice offered.
Cheers
Cath

Sponsored Links
What sort of sensor is it?

Is it the type that switches the light on when somone walks in front of the sensor or is it the sort that switches the light on at dusk, and the light stays on all night untill dawn?

Can you see if the sensor is integral to the light or if it is seperate?

Hi, thanks for responding so quickly. It's the kind that switches on when you walk in front of it. It seems to be integral to the light.
thanks
Cath

Something like this?

TLES42C.JPG

Can you see if there is only one cable going to the light?

Sponsored Links
Is it of the type which has an overide facility by switching the supply off and back on quickly.Someone might have done it without knowing or you have had a very short power dip.If the light has been off for a while now you could try switching it back on (the light might stay on for a bit while it initializes)

Hi,

Yes, it's exactly like the picture you posted! I'm not sure about the cable...I'll take a proper look at it in the daylight tomorrow....but I just noticed there's a vertical crack in the lens bit of the sensor.

I did get my neighbour to try the on-off thing with the switch a while ago but, again, the light just stayed on for several minutes.

thanks again for taking the trouble, I really appreciate it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back