Outdoor pizza/bread oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm about to start building an outdoor oven. The main source of information is American and a lot of it translates very well.

However, they suggest making a concrete slab for the foundatiion. The only answer that has eluded me so far is:

'how thick/deep the slab should it be?'

Where I live the ground is very clay and I'm hitting clay the depth of a shovel. I really am confused how thick/deep I should make the slab. It's gonna support quite a heavy structure and will have re-bar/mesh in there.

Is there any way of working out how deep/thick I should make the slab?

I hope I have made myself clear?

Thanks in advance

Mick

Sponsored Links
Mine has about 10cm of hardcore on top of solid rock, then 10cm of concrete.

We are talking about the foundation slab, rather than the slab below the cooking surface, right?

Any pics?
Id love to do this in our garden too. Im on solid clay with about 12" lovely loam on top.
I want to build mine with clay from my own land.

Sponsored Links
Hi, sorry to hijack this thread - I was just about to post another question regarding a brick built oven.

I am thinking of casting a slab which I will then place on brick supports to form the cooking hearth. I was then planning on casting a tunnel type structure which I would sit down on top of the hearth to form the roof and walls of the cooking chamber. Finally the whole thing would be clad or possibly tiled over with some mosaic style ceramic tiles.
I was planning on reinforcing both of my cast concrete sections.

The main reason behind this construction method is that if I can cast it all I think it will be cheaper and quicker than sourcing refractory brick to build the dome.

My concerns are that I do not know if concrete will be up to the job....will it crack in the heat? Ideally I would like to find a heat resistant concrete mix that has some degree of refractory properties. Is it possible to mix such a concrete and does the above sound feasible?

Cheers,
Dan

Hi, sorry to hijack this thread

Then start a new one. Hijacking causes confusion you wouldn't believe. New threads are free, so have your own, especially as you could be in for a problem with your proposal. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back