Outdoor sauna

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am hoping to either build my own sauna or buy a premade sauna for my garden. So far as electrics are concerned I have seen advice that it should run on its own dedicated circuit. Does this sound necessary? It will need to run a light or two plus a probably 6kw heater.

My questions are:

1. Is it necesasary to have a dedicated circuit connected directly to the main CU?
2. I already have an outdoor circuit which has its own mini CU. Could I link it to this one? The problem is the nearest point of this circuit is the other side of a concrete path so presumably I would need to dig this up to bury the cable.
3. I will be building the sauna next to my conservatory which has its own circuit. Could I simply extend this? If I did, would I need a mini CU to protect the sauna? And if I do can you get outdoor CUs - obviously it wouldn't be able to go in the sauna itself.

Hope this makes sense. I am not necessarily doing the electrical work myself but want to know what the options are?

Many thanks

Martyn

Sponsored Links
1) Yes.

2) Very unlikely it will handle such a large load, so no.

3) No.

Sorry to be the bear of bad news, but 6kW is a large load and will need its own dedicated circuit wired in fairly substantial sized cable back to the CU, although this depends on the distance between the house and sauna.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back