Outdoor security light replacement with 4 wires including yellow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace a sensor halogen security light which has an interior override switch. The wiring to the outside light is at the light red, blue, yellow, yellow/green. I know I cannot link all four wires but should I wire the blue, yellow and g/y and isolate the live red so that I can use the inside switch to on off on off overrride the sensor and have it on permanently sometimes? I am trying to work out what to do with the extra (live? Positive wire) . Thank you.

Sponsored Links
This might help you

pir overide single unit.jpg

Colours may be different, possibly your Red is Live, your Blue is Neutral and your Yellow is the Switched Live.

Ypu probably do not have the Override Off switch which also acts as an Isolator that is useful if the lamp gets damaged/water logged and causes MCB or RCD in the consumer unit to trip

Bernard , thank you Very much. Do you think I can connect yellow, blue and y/g such that the inside switch will act as a switch to the unit? And then just isolate the red wire?

This is certainly a very common way of wiring PIR lights:
1665862369082.png

and leaving the red disconnected (as indicated by a gap) is likely to disable the PIR, however there is no 'standard' way or colour code to follow and swapping over the use of red and yellow is not uncommon.

Sponsored Links
I am not certain but they all seem to have. I am going to try the isolate red, use yellow for Live approach.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back