Outdoor socket outlets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boss wants a socket fitting outside for us to plug some christmas lights into as on previous years, they've been plugged into one of the rooms through one of the windows which isn't acceptable.

I don't have my handbook with me, but could anyone tell me the regulated dimensions for positioning of outdoor sockets or are they the same as indoor sockets? I just need to get the hole drilled for the cable from the DB on the wall behind where it will go and fit the box to the wall and our sparky will do the rest this afternoon when he gets here. He hasn't got time to do the job today really but my boss wants these lights on for this weekend so he said he could do it if I did the prep work. I just can't get hold of him to ask him where it needs to go.

Sponsored Links
In coastal areas it's 1.0m high, common sense prevails and you should choose the best place for both the cable and hole route through the wall and the best position for the socket.

I'd suggest 450mm above ground (which has no water issues) the hole should slope from higher inside to lower outside to prevent water running along the cable and in.

I'd also suggest a switch inside or a different connection than a socket might be better- someone could unplug the lights, plug in and use the juice.

Might be better to use a external IP66 fused spur such as this

MK56410.JPG

You need a double pole switch, so preferably an FCU, on the inside, so as to prevent both electricity theft and also malicious tripping of the supply.

Sponsored Links
Also, think about how much room you actually need. A standard set of outdoor lights, with transformer etc, won't probably fit under the lid of the socket outlet with it closed.

Consider the use of an IP65 enclosure with room for transformers etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back