Outdoor Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please Help:

I'm trying to fit an outdoor socket. The socket i've acquired is fully weatherproof with an IP rating of 66, unfortunately it doesn't have a built in RCD switch.

A friend of mine (well I hope he is?) he told me the easiest way to fit the socket is to use 3 core 1.5mm cable and also connect it to a standard RCD plug on the other end and just plug it in your indoor socket

can this be done, safely

I don't really fancy removing any sockets, I'm not really confident in using 2.5mm twin & earth cable

any help appreciated..

thankyou

Sponsored Links
i dont see a problem with that, aslong as the RCD is attached to the plug and not an adapter where the plug is plugged into (b/c the RCD could be taken away and socket still used)

Although T & E is not designed for attaching to 13A plugtops...

Try Artic blue, 1,5.

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
Although T & E is not designed for attaching to 13A plugtops...

i kno it aint good practice, but thats how i powered 2 sockets on my desk for a few years... 1.5mm T+E into a 13A plug... i recently added a FCU next to the socket when i found a spare 1

Arctic flex into an RCD plug is fine. I`ve used one like that for a couple of years. If you look at many of the outdoor socket kits in the sheds (or even Screwfix) that`s how they`re wired. :D

Of course, folks, that should be ARCTIC.....

Jokes now invited re articulated cable....!!

:LOL:

andrew2022 said:
i kno it aint good practice, but thats how i powered 2 sockets on my desk for a few years... 1.5mm T+E into a 13A plug...
Why didn't you use flex?

i recently added a FCU next to the socket when i found a spare 1
You can buy them - you don't have to wait until you find one lying about....

ban-all-sheds said:
andrew2022 said:
i kno it aint good practice, but thats how i powered 2 sockets on my desk for a few years... 1.5mm T+E into a 13A plug...
Why didn't you use flex?

didnt have any lyin round

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back