Connecting pump to outdoor socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am solving a garden flooding problem by installing a dirty water pump which I intend to connect to a weatherproof outdoor socket.

My problem is that the pump has an RCD fitted and I dont think any outdoor sockets will take this and still be waterproof (ie lid won't close).

I wanted to remove the RCD and fit a 13A plug with an RCD fitted elsewhere (perhaps on the socket), however the pump instructions say that if the cable is damaged then the pump should be scrapped.

I want this to be a safe permanent fitting. Any suggestions for the best route to follow?

Thanks
Jim

Edit - I've said the pump is fitted with an RCD plug - it is actually an RCCB is this the same thing? :oops:

Sponsored Links
A Residual Current Circuit Breaker or Residual Current Device RCCB or RCD can be either passive or active. Where rotating machines are used it is common to use an active RCD so that in the event of a power failure it will not auto restart. I would guess the one fitted to your pump is an active type also one has different levels of protection and it is common to used 10ma with a plug or socket so as to afford discrimination between it and the main one protecting all sockets in the house.
It may be better to fit a socket in a box rather than use a fully water proof socket both to retain the levels of protection provided by the plug and also so as not to invalidate any guarantee offered.
If you do want to change it I would ring manufacture first and ask their advice so should there be some protective feature you are unaware of they can tell you about it.
I would expect you can cut it off and use different protection but seems better to ask manufacture first.
Eric

Thanks for your very clear reply, Eric.

I think I'll take your advice and fit a socket in a box to take the original pump fitting. Would it still be better to use a weatherproof socket in the box eg IP66? Also are the boxes available to buy?

Jim

Sponsored Links
I would use a standard metalclad socket and yes we call the boxes enclosures and they come with door and removable bottom plate I would leave plate off completely we used them at the bottom of tower cranes to charge the radios in fully in open never had a water problem.
Eric

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back