Twin rcd socket

jwg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a weatherproof double outdoor socket fitted on the outside wall.From this I have a plug fitted cable which goes to a single ordinary socket in the outside toilet. I use this for pond pump and other appliances. Always with a portable rcd.Can I replace the socket in the toilet with a double rcd socket.If so what sort should I use, I have heard of passive and active ones . Thank's :?:

Sponsored Links
The OUTDOOR socket should already be protected by a 30 mA RCD.

This could be part of the outdoor socket, in the house somewhere, or at the consumer unit.

Do you have this?

Thank's for your reply. No the outdoor sockets do not have rcd protection.Nor is there any in the consumer unit only the switches that come down if a bulb goes etc. i just have to put the switch back up for the lightsetc to come back on.I had the house rewired a few years ago and the certificate stated that they had rewired it, not as ring main but some other. The electrician that fitted the outdoor sockets said he would come back and fit a rcd in the consumer box but didn,t bother to come back.

You should get the outdoor sockets protected by an RCD.

You could replace outdoor socket for an RCD weatherproof one, but it may be beneficial to fit RCD at consumer unit, so it can protect some or all of your inside sockets. However, a fault outside could mean you would lose power on any protected sockets inside.

With this done, your wiring in the outside toilet will be protected.

You may like to think about making the socket supply to the toilet a bit more permanent by hardwiring it in properly.

Sponsored Links
The electrician that fitted the outdoor sockets said he would come back and fit a rcd in the consumer box but didn,t bother to come back.

To$$3r.

Passive = latching (ie will stay in after power failure)

Active = non-latching (ie will need to be reset after power failure)

Thank's for your help. I think I will get an electrician to fit an rcd socket outside, And also one in the consumer unit. Once again thank you.

The electrician that fitted the outdoor sockets said he would come back and fit a rcd in the consumer box but didn,t bother to come back.
And the reason you paid him before he had finished was what, exactly?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back