Outdoor smart socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to buy some low voltage garden lights which come with a plug. I already have a standard waterproof outdoor socket to plug these into.

What I want, though, is to be able to control turning these on through my iphone, similar to smart sockets you can get which can be controlled through wifi.

Do a similar version of these smart sockets exist for outdoor use?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
My son was showing me an advert for lamps which could be controlled from the phone, he was pointing out how much power it used even when the lights were off. This seems to be the problem for many of the remote controls. I looked at the Maplin version nothing about how much power it uses. Clearly no point having a device using 1W which is switching a 3W LED lamp.

As to outdoor there is nothing to stop you using any indoor unit in a suitable weather proof unit. The Maplin one states down to -40°C so as long as kept dry no problem. However being within WiFi range may be a problem.

Many outdoor sockets are standard indoor sockets inside a weather proof box.

IHNI, but if you can't find one you might be able to get what you want with non-outdoor kit in a weatherproof enclosure.

Sponsored Links
Yup, that sort of thing. Although I'd advise looking at products from companies such as Sarel, Gewiss, Fibox, Himel, ABB, Schneider etc, who have a wealth of experience and a superb track record of making all sorts of IP rated enclosures, rather than ones targeted at the DIY market.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back