Outdoor Tiling - Decoupling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Going to be tiling externally for the first time using 600sq x 9mm porcelain. Base is concrete slab. Largest area is the patio 5mx4m.
I understand the tile is thin for external (want it to match the existing internal tiles) they do state external use. But because of that potential weakness i'm thinking of using a decoupling mat (detra type) - is that the correct thinking to maximise my chance of success?

- If so I cant find out if the detra type mats are suitable for external? - I have seen that the fibre type mats say they are not.

- What adhesive (s) would you recommend between the sub-base and mat? and then between the mat and the tile? Rigid / S1 / S2? About 60m2 all in all with a thickish double bed and back buttered....cost starts get high with all S2 if its unneccesary?

Process: scrub, vacuum, neat PrimerG, adhesive, mat, adhesive, tile, epoxy grout. Does that sound about right?

Or if i've got the whole process wrong, kill me quick with the painful truth :cry:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back