Outisde Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to install an outside light and am looking for advice on the easiest way to get power to it.

At present there is no power run in for the light.

The closest power is a 13A socket. Can I use this if I put an RCD or Fused Connection Unit on it? Or do I need to take it from the lighting circuit?

Thanks

Martin

Sponsored Links
Spur from a socket on to a fused spur point with 3 amp fuse (light under 3 x 230v or 690w).

Run a 3 core rubber sheathed flex from spur to light fitting. The hole between in and outside should drop diagonally down to avoid water running along cable and in to house.

A drip loop on the outside cable will help prevent water running along cable on to the wall, always wiring an external fitting from the underside.

I'm sure Martin is grateful for the advice

Sponsored Links
not on this thread, but on his other one he was moaning that no-one ever gives him helpful advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back