Outside Conduit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

After an "electrician" had fitted an outside light he's left cable running all over the outside of a family members house. I was just wondering was is a decent looking conduit (if there is one) to buy to hide these cables?

Thanks[/url][/b]

Sponsored Links
'Decent' depends on what you want the overall appearance to be. Black or white 20mm conduit is standard, the cheapest places for it I think will be Wickes for the conduit then screwfix for the fittings etc.

Otherwise there is galvanised conduit, which is nore expensive but won't have any potential sag issues (you'll need to cleat the PVC stuff every 600mm horizontally to be sure).

It all depends on the wall brick and/or render colour. If he's just used standard grey flat Twin & Earth then this is not UV stable and shouldn't be exposed to sunlight anyway; if he has then call him back to rectify.

Pyro doesn't look too bad.
Pyro or pyrotenax is a type of cable which looks like a small copper pipe, have a google to see what I mean.

If he's just used standard grey flat Twin & Earth then this is not UV stable and shouldn't be exposed to sunlight anyway; if he has then call him back to rectify.

That's exactly what he has done. It was done around 2 years ago so calling him back is out of the question. I've only noticed it because I am going to put a security light up.

I think the house is just brick. But I've never took any notice tbh. The 20mm stuff sounds good.

Just another thought I've had about an outside light. Could I use a PIR sensor outside light but still have a light switch on the inside of the house for incase the light is required to stay on longer than the normal security feature? Ie turn the switch on and the light will stay on until the switch is turned off, then it will work off the PIR?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Possible but may require additional wiring, or buy a fitting that can be told to stay on by flicking the switch off and on quickly.

Just incase anyone was wondering I manage to wire the PIR light and make it stay on with a light switch. All I did was wire the switch between the live on the light and the switched live. Therefore with the switch off the PIR works as normal, but with switch on the light stays perminantly on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back