Outside damp on rendering and corner bricks - should I be concerned?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

In the last stages of a house purchase but I've come across some issues with the outside. The 2 main issues are:

1. The rendering seems to have damp which can be seen by the darker blotches on the rendering.

2. The corner of the house has damp on the bricks at the bottom.

My question is should I be worried about these points?

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201104-210509_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201104-210509_Gallery.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 328
  • Screenshot_20201104-210455_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201104-210455_Gallery.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 316
  • Screenshot_20201104-210450_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201104-210450_Gallery.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 373
Sponsored Links
All the render will in all probability need hacking off and renewing.
The parapet might need attention as well as the render.
The decking has raised the "ground level" too high and probably bridged the DPC in the wall causing soaking brickwork - two outside corners and an inside corner as best as i can see.
Any signs of damp penetration inside the house?
The deck will need some remedial work to reduce contact with the walls and door threshold.

Thank you very much Tel for your reply, I'm going to speak to the developer tomorrow to notify him of the issues. It does seem like it's a cause for concern then, which isn't ideal but it is what it is. Thanks again!

Update: So the developer is looking into what's causing the issue, they think it's possibly the guttering.

I want to know now what can possibly be done to rectify the issue, is there a quick fix or will the rendering have to be done again? If the rendering does have to be done again, does anyone know what I would be expecting to look at in terms of cost for London?

I've attached updated pictures for View attachment 215988 View attachment 215989 View attachment 215988 View attachment 215989 and any suggestions would be much appreciated, thank you!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The render is cracked to **** and has been poorly applied. It needs complete renewal.

Also no bellcast drip at the bottom, hence the damp bricks that should be dry - unless that's from the leaky render.

it’s not good . zoom in to the reveals of the upstairs windows :eek:

The render is cracked to **** and has been poorly applied. It needs complete renewal.

Also no bellcast drip at the bottom, hence the damp bricks that should be dry - unless that's from the leaky render.

Thanks for your reply, agreed the render is awful and I guess from your response a simple repair job won't do! I'm trying to get the developer to take responsibility for it, will push for redoing the whole rendering!

Thanks for the reply Benny but sorry slightly confused! Are you referring to the rendering marks on the window?
the actual shape of the plaster work . it appears not to be flat or level.
E0743D19-8A51-4776-A9AD-71B44DAA9BB7.png

also there’s no overhang on the cill and no drip / bellcast incorporated into the lowest point of the render.

the actual shape of the plaster work . it appears not to be flat or level.
View attachment 216335
also there’s no overhang on the cill and no drip / bellcast incorporated into the lowest point of the render.

Ah right I didn't notice that, good spot! I've made a note of that now as well. I'm quite surprised that the rendering is this bad, it's been 8 months since it's been done. I didn't think there would be this many issues in such a short period!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back