Outside double socket install DIY question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have plans to fit an outside double socket fed from the house consumer unit on a b16. I can't see needing much more power than the odd power tool or jet washer. The cable run will be about 15 metres from the consumer unit to the outside position with about 2 metres of that being inside and the rest running along a solid wall.

The question is I can either run a 2.5mm2 armoured cable or if I fit and clip steel conduit for the run am I able to use conventional 2.5mm2 cable? The reason I ask is that conventional 2.5mm2 is cheaper and so I am wanting the most cost effective option.

If I go with the armoured cable option and don't use conduit what type of clips should I use to fit the cable to the wall and at what spacing ? Stone wall/cement block

Other questions : does the double socket need to be a minimum height from the floor as it does internally ?

Sponsored Links
New circuit....RCD will need upgrading if its a type AC...EIC will need to be issued..And building control will need to be Notified Get a Sparky

Sponsored Links
The question is I can either run a 2.5mm2 armoured cable or if I fit and clip steel conduit for the run am I able to use conventional 2.5mm2 cable? The reason I ask is that conventional 2.5mm2 is cheaper and so I am wanting the most cost effective option.
Are you sure that the cost of 'conventional' cable PLUS steel conduit (and fittings) is less than that of armoured cable?

Kind Regards, John

I understand why you've asked that but no because it's not going onto a wall of the house. It's quite some way down the length of the garden
I don't think that, in itself, invalidates the point EFLI was making. As I understood it, he was talking about the source/origin of the new cable, not how it gets down the garden. I suspect he may have been thinking that if you could merely 'extend' an existing circuit, that would mean that it would not be a 'new circuit' that would invoke some of the bureaucratic issues which have subsequently been mentioned.

Kind Regards, John

I don't think that, in itself, invalidates the point EFLI was making. As I understood it, he was talking about the source/origin of the new cable, not how it gets down the garden. I suspect he may have been thinking that if you could merely 'extend' an existing circuit, that would mean that it would not be a 'new circuit' that would invoke some of the bureaucratic issues which have subsequently been mentioned.

Kind Regards, John
Addition to a circuit....Upgrade RCD if needed ....Test and issue a MWEIC

Addition to a circuit....Upgrade RCD if needed ....Test and issue a MWEIC
I think opinions may well vary as regards whether adding one socket to an existing circuit triggers a need to "upgrade RCD if needed", but I agree with "test and issue a MWEIC" (albeit we know how many DIYers actually do that) - but, the (fairly important, to OP) point I was making (and which EFLI might well have also been implying) is that the one thing not in that list is "notify".

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back