Ring main in timber frame house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am proposing to use 2.5mm2 cable, run vertically to each back box in 20mm conduit ( both cable to and from socket in one conduit). Cable run will be clipped to joists. Insulation will lie behind conduit ie not surrounded. Does this all sound OK.

Sponsored Links
Is this a house already built, where you have to poke the conduit down from the floor above? Or is it still in construction?;

if the drylining isn't on yet, why not run the ring horizontally around the rooms? It will be more economical in labour and materials than going up and down. It also makes it easier to break into the conduit later and add another outlet. Since the conduit is always at the height of the sockets, the cable is in a safe zone.

In kitchens, home offices and workshops, the run can be 150mm above worktop height.

There is also no need to bunch two cables in a single conduit.

Sponsored Links
I will still need to go up and over the doors. The lounge, dinning room and kitchen are open plan and there are two sets of French doors to outside.

yes, you will. Or under the floor if not concrete.

Are you attracted to the idea of going up and down?

Are you attracted to the idea of going up and down?

No, but someone suggested this and I was not sure myself whether this was the best way to do it.

It will be a concrete floor with underfloor heatingn so no under floor wiring. Will 2.5mm2 cable be sufficient when bunching the 2 cables in the conduit?

on top.

I like to see a woman taking an interest and working hard.

It will be a concrete floor with underfloor heatingn so no under floor wiring. Will 2.5mm2 cable be sufficient when bunching the 2 cables in the conduit?

Mr Secure will know. I'd have to look at my Rating Factors tables, which aren't to hand.

grouping for two multicore cables, enclosed method 3 or 4, is 0.8

so capacity is 20A x 0.8 =16A

I can't find conduit capacities for T&E

But on a 32A type B MCB it gives no leeway for an unbalanced ring.

Just use 2 conduits,one in and one out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back