Outside Electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Hager consumer unit.
I wish to put some electric in my shed but can you advise which amp circuit breaker i need to purchase.
It will only be for lawn mower,drill & planer etc.
I will then get an electrician to sort it out for me,so im just trying to save time by purchasing the circuit breaker up front.

Sponsored Links
I don't see how it will save time... the electrician will come and assess the job, then go and buy the equipment required from a wholesaler

This will include an appropriate RCBO / MCB, for the make, model and age of your consumer unit.

I just want them to come and do the job whilst i have the parts required.

Better post a photo of the CU then, making sure the current MCB's or RCBO's model numbers are visible.

You should also post details of your supply type.

And also what type of cable are you using to the shed, and how far away from the house is it, or the consumer unit ideally.

This is more complex than you think.....

Sponsored Links

No, you just want someone to tell you what to buy before you attempt to do it yourself.

An electrician will need to assess a number of things before actually installing anything.

I wish to put some electric in my shed but can you advise which amp circuit breaker i need to purchase.
Of course.

But why do you want to end up paying more overall than you would if you let the electrician supply the materials?

Seems daft to me.

A Hager MCB costs about £3. There are other items that the project may need that cost a bit more than the MCB would.

I fail to see how buying one particular item is going to save you any money at all.

I have a Hager consumer unit.
It will only be for lawn mower,drill & planer etc.
I will then get an electrician to sort it out for me,so im just trying to save time by purchasing the circuit breaker up front.

Good morning matey,

How far is the shed/garage away from the consumer unit in the house?

I've just bought a Hager.really nice bit of kit!

The consumer unit is in the garage.
I would like a cable installed from here say 20 feet to a weatherproof outdoor double socket.
This then is where the lawn mower etc will be plugged in.

I am not going to do the job but get the electrician in to do it for me as i need the job signed off part p ?

I just thought that when he came and and just charged for his labour would be cheaper than charging me for labour and then parts.

If you think im using this forum to gain advice you are wrong.

I just thought that when he came and and just charged for his labour would be cheaper than charging me for labour and then parts.

You thought wrong. He's going to have to supply parts anyway, because there's no way you'll know what he needs. There's no way he'll know, until he comes and gives you a quote. He gets materials cheaper than you anyway.

If you think im using this forum to gain advice you are wrong.

Then what are you here for?

I just thought that when he came and and just charged for his labour would be cheaper than charging me for labour and then parts

Here is a selection of what is likely to happen. None of them involve you paying less and getting the result you wanted.

Option 1. Electrician supplies all parts and labour, you pay for both.
Option 2. Electrician supplies labour only, you somehow manage to obtain all the right parts for the same price, you pay the same total amount but have wasted your time buying things.
Option 3. Electrician supplies labour only, adds an extra hour or three to deal with you buying the wrong parts or not having all of them, you pay more and waste time buying things you didn't need.
Option 4. You buy the parts, then for some reason every electrician you call is far too busy or cannot attend for 6 months or doesn't do such small works or only does everything else apart from what you want. You have paid for a pile of parts and have nothing installed.

This forum is great for advice but just be aware that most electrically oriented jobs will need a competent person to do it. Whether that is you, a friend or someone qualified, that's the owners call. I'm just a DIYer but I know my way around electrics. The call is yours.

However back to the reason you are here, if you are only powering a double socket(outside) then you could use 2.5mm SWA. You can google for current carrying capacity of the SWA but I think TLC will tell you everything you need to know. (I think it's around 24a but I can't remember off top of my head) As for the MCB in the consumer unit, I'd put it on a 20a. That would give you just over 4.8kW to play with so you should be ok.

This is a good site for CCCs.
http://www.elecsa.co.uk/Technical-L...ting/Current-Carrying-Capacity-of-Cables.aspx

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back