Outside light - 1.5TE light cable with fcu

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick question, can you run an outside wall light (not high load or flood etc) from lighting circuit to fcu to light. I know you can run from lighting to outside light (rcd protected) and from ring main to fcu to outside light.

The reason I ask is I will be putting a 4g lightswitch in kitchen and I'd like one of those to operate the a new light oustide the french doors. Distance from light to switch is 2m.

The point is if I wire it in on the lighting then if the rcd trips due to water ingress or failure over time I can not isolate the outside light or more importantly tell someone what to do over the phone ie a work away and should that happen I'd rather tell some person to switch off the fcu and then go throw the mcb and rcd.

Likewise I don't want an fcu on show to act as a light switch, it will look odd based on its location and height. Hence bringing an fcu in a more descreet location into the lighting run would solve all my issues. Any thoughts other than do you know this comes under part p :)

Sponsored Links
While there is nothing electrically wrong with what you propose having a seperate hidden isolation switch seems like a recipie for confusion to me.

Have you considered using a grid switch? They don't look all that different from normal light switches and you can get double pole switch modules for them.

Did think of using a grid switch but thought it still looks odd. Basically I thought about the confusion issue too. I was either going to put it at socket height on the same jamb as the outside light (on the inside though :)) or place the fcu in my server cupboard which is only 500mm from the same jamb but label the fcu as Outside Light. I suppose I could use a 16 amp clickflow connector and place that in the same server cupboard but again its not something I'd want one of the household members using - if its not throwing a switch they freak out :)

Also the other thing is the fcu fuse would protect the house 1.5te should someone put a large watt replacement bulb or new fitting in, in the future. It just seems the best option to me. Plus I'd have the cert state 5amp fuse etc

Sponsored Links
I'd definately go down the grid switch route. If you use someone like MK, they don't look any different from a standard plate switch, and certainly not out of place in a domestic property. Virtually all the switches in my house are MK grid.

IMGP3426.jpg

Thanks rf think I will, didnt spend too much time looking at the mk, everything I have is mk - I think I passed it over too quick. Will take a look in the morning :cool:

Based on the fact that moisture in the lamp could cause a troublesome neutral to earth fault as well as live to earth a double pole switch / isolator would be a good idea.

I would agree grid switch is way to go which means you can use double pole for outside lamp and also if you wanted include a fuse although with a double pole switch I would not worry about a fuse assuming from lighting circuit.

DP grid switch it is. So I take it as I was going to be using a 4 gang light switch to operate 4 different sets of lights I'll now be using 4 grid switches with the outside light being dp and the other 3 acting as normal light switches? Thx gang :D

That was the first one!

Did a full conduit system for the lights in the living room :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back