Outside light (floodlight) triggers when turning off light switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have the above bizarre problem, I have a 400w halogen floodlight which is wired to the upstairs lighting circuit. Whenever I turn off a light switch upstairs the floodlight comes briefly as it normally would when you walk in front of it, There is nothing in the garden moving around but it always comes on whenever I turn off any light switch upstairs
Its very bizarre, could it possibly be a voltage spike? The floodlight is very reliable and does not false trigger whenever the wind blow like the cheaper versions do, however as i say it does seem to trigger whenever I switch off other lights upstairs for some strange reason?
cheers,

Sponsored Links
I would be looking for a lose connection, however you do I hope realise you need planning permission for a outside light over 150 watt? I would not connect a 400 watt outside lamp to lighting circuit, it may be under 2 amp, however assuming planning permission granted I would power from socket circuit. Main reason is if water gets in then it will not stop internal lights working.

I would be looking for a lose connection, however you do I hope realise you need planning permission for a outside light over 150 watt? I would not connect a 400 watt outside lamp to lighting circuit, it may be under 2 amp, however assuming planning permission granted I would power from socket circuit. Main reason is if water gets in then it will not stop internal lights working.
Hi, The floodlight has been installed for about 5 years, also I am in scotland so I don't think this rule applies here? It only lights up my back garden and aims at that only, it does not point towards peoples windows or on the main road like I have seen on other houses, so even if it may technically not be allowed in my case its not doing any harm and i won't lose much sleep over it considering almost everyone else in my street also has a 400w floodlight on their house. The floodlight although connected to the lighting has its own fcu with a 3 amp, so if I have issues i can simply turn that off without it affecting other lights on the circuit. It has always done this, just baffled me to find out why, I will look around for loose connections, none of the lights flicker when they are on but I will take your word, Not doubting your experience but how would a loose connection cause the above symtoms?
thanks

Last edited:
Eric, can you tell me where it says you need planning permission for lamps over 400w please?

Sponsored Links
I've got a hand-held, tripod-mountable, Braun Nizolux which has a 1kW halogen lamp in it. I recently dragged it out of its hiding place because I thought I might need to use it, and while it was handy I pointed it down the garden after dark and turned it on.

Blimey.

Made me even more interested in trying the low-priority-wouldn't-it-be-fun idea of putting 7 outdoor bulkhead lights (which I already have, but without the right lampholders) on my side of a fence running down the garden with 36V 400W lamps in series....

Do I need permission from anyone other than the bill-payer? :ROFLMAO:

The floodlight although connected to the lighting has its own fcu with a 3 amp, so if I have issues i can simply turn that off without it affecting other lights on the circuit.

FCUs are not required on lighting circuits. A 3a fuse will not discriminate against a 6a MCB.

Not doubting your experience but how would a loose connection cause the above symptoms?
thanks

RFI.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back