Outside Light Wiring from 2 Gang Switch Help

The blue that has been cut off I can get some through... yes. I'd just need to know which terminal to attach the neutral too

The single blue, as you mentioned before is linked to a 2nd switch in the hallway which controls the hallway light aswell

Sponsored Links
The blue that has been cut off...I'd just need to know which terminal to attach the neutral to
There is nothing you can do at the moment.

You will have to employ one of the methods suggested in my previous post.

There is no neutral to connect. All of the wires at the switch are lives and switched lives.

Sponsored Links
Just a thought.. is there any way of linking the hallway light and the outside light at the switch??

I don't really mind if I have to have the hallway light on to turn the outside light on, or, even just have both turn off one switch..?

Just a thought.. is there any way of linking the hallway light and the outside light at the switch??

I don't really mind if I have to have the hallway light on to turn the outside light on, or, even just have both turn off one switch..?
No, sorry. As you know the problem is that there are no neutral connections at the switch. This is normal in the majority of switches.

The situation is confusing because the outside light and some of the wiring are there already. If they weren't and you were asking "Can I...?" the answer would be "No".

Unless there is a hidden cable somewhere then, if the outside light ever worked, it must have been wired very dangerously.

Sadly, having spoken to my neighbours, the light at some point did work. The old guy says it was rigged to work from the hallway lights... so I fear that they were using the earth as their neutral and hoping for the best..... Thankfully, i guess it has since been made safe and cut out.

I'll set to work tomorrow taking a fused feed off somewhere and doing it properly..

Thankyou everyone

Forgetting about the hall switch for a moment.

You have the 'commons' linked - this is where the 'live' for your outside light is comming from.

The 'blue' conductor that is cut back is the second conductor of the twin & earth that runs from the switch to the light - it is not a neutral.....it's just that only a single conductor is required so he's cut the blue back.

The 'blue'(neutral) that you see at the light will be run from another accessory somewhere (or borrowed from the 'ring final') - I think you'll find it is not the same blue that is in the switch.

If you don't believe me, do a continuity test on the 'blue conductor' from the switch to the light.

If you haven't got the means to do this test, you shouldn't be messing about with your electrics anyway.

The 'blue' conductor that is cut back is the second conductor of the twin & earth that runs from the switch to the light - it is not a neutral
It is if connected to the light.
The 'blue'(neutral) that you see at the light will be run from another accessory somewhere (or borrowed from the 'ring final')
If that were the case then the light would have worked.
I think you'll find it is not the same blue that is in the switch.
Maybe, but that raises more queries.

Well... I do have the appropriate tool to meter the blues out.. and believe it or not, the blue wire that sits in the casing of the switch, unterminated and cut off is the same blue that is attached to the light and has no spur off to another neutral. Essentially, as suggested before, the light has no negative.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back