Outside Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all
Just been asked a question by brother in law. He is replacing his outside halogen security light complete with sensor. The wiring at present is Red/Blue/Yellow and obviously Earth. The new light only has a three way connection block so his not sure about the wiring I said he would have to trace the wires back but he is unable to do this and he assures me there is no override switch anywhere any advice please.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
hi high!

what are the three terminals LNE?

it may be that a perm main is not required and the overide is done by flicking the switch on-off-on. should be stated in the instructions.

Hello superspark

Yep the terminals are LNE the problem is he reckons that he has no override switch anywhere and thats whats confusing me as to the existing 4 core cable surely he must have a switch somewhere. Cheers matey

sorry did not read properly :oops:

i was thinking that there was a switch and you wanted to know how to overide.

if there is no switch, (and you cant fit one), the only possibility is to connect perm main and have the light on sensor.

Sponsored Links
i think he is saying the problem is ... why is there the yellow if there is no switch

i would tape up (connector block if room) the yellow and connect the others to relevant terminls, that way if u change to an over-ridable light in future you dont need to change cable. or perhaps u can connect the yellow with the red, permanent live

Cheers Superspark and Jim

Yep sorry people as Jim said thats whats confusing me why have the yellow cable if there is no override switch I've told the brother in law that there must be a switch or as you say Jim put the yellow in a block or connect with the red. Thanks people

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back