Outside Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have installed a new circuit for my outside lights. There are 4 all together. They are security lights with PIR built in.

I have a feed from the DB to the switch. Brown of the feed and brown of switch wire into Com, blue into connectors and then a black in connectors as it was wired in 3 core and earth. The switch wire runs to the first light, then second, third and fourth colour for colour being joined with the flex of the light in with the permanent feed.

I want these to each work individually when triggered by the PIR but when I switch on the breaker, flick the switch, the lights come on for 10 seconds then go off. The switch then does nothing at all and the lights don’t come back on.

Any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Ok, so they all come on and have power so what maybe required is adjustments to the light sensitivity and time the lights stay on. sometimes this is a bit hit and miss. If you switch them on now as it's dark can you see if they light up individually?

The PIR's will only operate when there is sufficient lack of light to activate them. If you are trying to test them in daylight, or even twilight, they will not function unless you cover the sensors with something dark to fool them it's night time.

The PIR's will only operate when there is sufficient lack of light to activate them. If you are trying to test them in daylight, or even twilight, they will not function unless you cover the sensors with something dark to fool them it's night time.

This seems likely. Silly me was trying to do it in daylight….whoops!

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Brown of the feed and brown of switch wire into Com
Which means the switch wire is connected directly to Live and not via the switch,

Brown of the feed into Com and brown of switch wire into L1 ( or L2 ) on the switch will allow the switch to control the supply to the switch wire

Which means the switch wire is connected directly to Live and not via the switch,

Brown of the feed into Com and brown of switch wire into L1 ( or L2 ) on the switch will allow the switch to control the supply to the switch wire
Even if I want them just to operate individually when triggered by it’s own PIR?

With both wires in the same terminal, it is not acting as a switch.

Wired as Bernard describes, it will energised the feed to the lights when closed and interrupt it when open.

What a switch does:

1706978798772.png

I would like each light to just activate as it’s triggered by its own pir. It’s on a long drive way so want each one to go as it sensors movement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back