Outside lighting and sockets - upgrade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I am getting my garden landscaped, and as part of it need some lighting and power changes outside

Currently got one downstairs ring, one socket on the ring is spurred to a fused spur and running 2 security lights

One socket is spurred and running the outside socket on the wall with a double pole isolator inside

I want more lights and a second outdoor socket further up the garden, I have been given 3 options by two electricians

1) remove all the spurs, new feeds to consumer unit and new circuits for lights and sockets - difficult to get new cables to consumer unit at other side of the house

2) remove the spurs, and use the spur that's feeding the current outdoor socket to run a secondary consumer unit for 3 lighting (LED) and 1 socket circuits

3) leave it like it is, spur off another socket for the new lighting circuit, change the double pole isolator for a fused spur and spur off the current outdoor socket for the second socket

I know option 1 is probably the best, but could be major disruption, what would you guys recommend?

Sponsored Links
Yep go for option 3.

With a 13A fuse in a FCU (fused connection unit) feeding all any overload will blow fuse and fail safe. There should never be an over load using normal light and lawn mower so not a problem fuse should never blow.

I have seen it a few times, but there is really no point having breakers fed from a 13A fuse, they would need to be 6A to be any chance of them tripping and you will likely want more than 6A to sockets.

Sponsored Links
use the spur that's feeding the current outdoor socket to run a secondary consumer unit for 3 lighting (LED) and 1 socket circuits
You could install something like this on the existing 13A FCU.

blagps250__33643_zoom.jpg

that would be good as it would allow control of the 4 circuits (3 lights and 1 socket)

What sort of cable(s) will be running, and how/where, to all these items?

They apparently plan on running 3 core armoured 1.5 mm for the two lighting circuits and 2.5mm 3 core armoured for the socket at the back of the garden. I have been advised to change the security flood lights from 400w halogens to led.

So basically 4 circuits
1 for security lights
1 for wall lights lower patio
1 for up lights around rear of gradenew
1 for sockets

All lighting led and main use of second socket will be a water feature

If they are doing all that get them to install the switches you want.

The glands on that Blagdon thing, for example, are not SWA ones, and I don't know if they could be replaced with the right type.

The glands on that Blagdon thing, for example, are not SWA ones, and I don't know if they could be replaced with the right type.
I have installed a couple of those. They come with stuffing glands that are only good for a bit of 1mm flex. No room for SWA glands.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back