Adding another spur to socket for lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel sorry for the forum being bored to death with johnywaffle2. Doesn't affect me, when his gob starts I'm gone, as i'm sure many others are.
Have you not found the "Ignore" button - or do you just enjoy being bored to death by reading 'waffle'?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Indeed, for all I know, membership of a self-cert Scheme might require one to 'comply' with those 'informative' Appendices?
I wouldn't think so. I don't remember reading such a thing.
It just requires compliance with 7671.

They do, however, require the purchase of the OSG, about which I have complained, to no avail.
I would hate to have to comply with it, though.

They do, however, require the purchase of the OSG, about which I have complained, to no avail.
Yes, you've mentioned that before - and that was the very reason why I wondered about 'compliance' with the Appendices!

In any event, as I've said, I doubt that (m)any electricians would want to 'contravene' the informative guidance, anyway, for reasons that I mentioned.

Kind Regards, John

Indeed - but, of course, the same is true of two single sockets (no different from two FCUs).

Kind Regards, John

It can be argued there is a difference in two FCUs and two single sockets.

Each FCU could have a fixed load requiring say just a few amps, yet each single socket could have an unfixed load as much as 13 amps.

Then adapters could be fitted to each single socket, increasing the load - although all adapters now have a built-in 13 amp fuse.

I seem to remember a discussion years ago here where, once again, it was chosen to go against convention, and allow a spur on a spur consisting of two FCUs, but not two single sockets.

Sponsored Links
Yes, those are good points.

Yet the two FCUs are not illustrated in Appendix 15, therefore ...

It can be argued there is a difference in two FCUs and two single sockets. Each FCU could have a fixed load requiring say just a few amps, yet each single socket could have an unfixed load as much as 13 amps.
Maybe some people would try to argue that but it's not an argument that I would find very convincing. Both an FCU and a single can have fuses up to 13A, so one has to design on the basis of that 'worst case' (for both). Sure, an FCU may have a small load (and maybe a small fuse), but the same is true of a single socket - and, equally, either could have a 13A fuse and a ~13A load. I really don't see the difference.
I seem to remember a discussion years ago here where, once again, it was chosen to go against convention, and allow a spur on a spur consisting of two FCUs, but not two single sockets.
As above, if one considers 'worst cases', I really don't see the difference. It may be fairly common for FCUs to supply small loads, but that's not necessarily the case, so can't be relied upon - indeed, you could theoretically have two FCUs, each with 13A fuses, each feeding a string of double sockets.

Kind Regards, John

The difference would, might, may be that the FCUs could serve low power FIXED hard-wired equipment that could never be overloaded, such as two FCUs with 3 amp fuses serving a few lights or something.

Just a theory, not suggesting for moment one should fit a spur on a sour with two FCUs.

That is not two spurs, it is one.

screenshot_1417.jpg

Is the circuit on the left allowed? The one labelled 1 spur?
Trust all is clear now.

I would say definitely not.

Mind you, the ones labelled '2 spurs' aren't allowed in every piece of guidance you'll ever find about ring circuits - with the possible exception to the actual regs, as has been recently discussed.

The difference would, might, may be that the FCUs could serve low power FIXED hard-wired equipment that could never be overloaded, such as two FCUs with 3 amp fuses serving a few lights or something.
Yes, I understood what you were suggesting and, yes, if one were happy to assume (and we know what people say about that!) that the FCUs would only ever supply the current, small, load, then that would obviously be fair enough. Indeed, if one had lots of loads ≤3A, and 3A fuses in all the FCUs, one could theoretically have eight FCUs ('spurred' off one another) without exceeding the load that could be represented by a (compliant) double socket.
Just a theory, not suggesting for moment one should fit a spur on a sour with two FCUs.
In appropriate circumstances (such as you describe), I'd be happy to do it in my own home, but it's probably not a very common requirement. FCUs are commonly very close to the socket they are fed from so, if one actually wanted two of them, one could feed them separately from the socket (and then have a discussion about getting four conductors into a terminal :)

Kind Regards, John

Yes, I understood what you were suggesting and, yes, if one were happy to assume (and we know what people say about that!) that the FCUs would only ever supply the current, small, load, then that would obviously be fair enough.
Why do people get so agitated about what might be changed in the future?

Are 6mm² shower circuits to be eschewed lest someone install a powerful shower down the road?

Should we worry about the use of ring finals in the first place, given how they can so easily be abused?

Should summerhouses always be supplied with a cable big enough to cope with a hot tub and a sauna, even though the design at the time is for a few lights and sockets?

Provided design considerations (basically CCC) were satisfied, I would personally have no hesitation in installing two single sockets as an unfused spur from a ring final (one being 'a sopur from a spur')
No, it wouldn't be. It would be one spur with two sockets.

Indeed, BAS even believes that we (at least I!) should not advise a DIYer that they 'may not' do such things (which are contrary to guidance in an Appendix to the regs, although not forbidden by the regs, per se)
Of course.

What we should do is to explain the concerns to him, teach him what factors are relevant to the design of the spur, and enable him to make an informed decision.

However, as I've said, I doubt that many electricians would want the potential hassle that could possibly arise if they did these things
I can see little merit in choosing to circumscribe one's design because of potential hassle delivered by the ignorant and unthinking.

(and would probably advise DIYers that the couldn't/shouldn't do such things).
Would that be to avoid the hassle of actually taking the time to explain it all properly?

That's not a spur on a spur.

It's a spur with two FCUs.

The regs state allowance should be made for future expansion, or words to that effect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back