Adding another spur to socket for lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
I will have one last go at explaining. Sorry if my English isn't understandable, which is a bit worrying as my main employment these days is as a technical author. :whistle:

Anyway, this is what the op has now. One spur from a socket on a ring [in the absence of other info assumed to be from a 32A MCB as is usual]

Existing.jpg

But he can't add another second spur to the existing spur.

Proposed.jpg

I think we all agreed on that in the first place!:LOL: The only part we were correcting was to state that you can indeed spur twice off the same socket on the ring.
Hopefully the OP has finished his project by now(y)

Sponsored Links
1) He might be able to, depending on spur cable size and installation method.

2) He wasn't asking about doing that:
I've got a double socket near the back door. I've already added a fused spur to it to feed and outdoor socket. Can I add another to it to run an outside light?
He wants to add a 2nd spur to the double socket near the back door.

2) He wasn't asking about doing that: ... He wants to add a 2nd spur to the double socket near the back door.
That's also what was my first reaction, and I still think that it's probably the most likely intended meaning. However, the "it" in the last sentence you quoted is a bit ambiguous - you and I 'assumed' (and we both know about that!) that it was a reference to the double socket, but it could mean (the supply side of) the FCU that has already been spurred from the socket.

Kind Regards, John

View attachment 128044
To put a spanner in the works, I think everyone would agree with that because they just do, BUT

even if there were 13A fuses in both of the FCUs, that would be no different than a double socket - assuming the first bit of cable complies, which it probably would because some people believe it must be 2.5mm² connected to the ring.

.... BUT ... even if there were 13A fuses in both of the FCUs, that would be no different than a double socket - assuming the first bit of cable complies, which it probably would because some people believe it must be 2.5mm² connected to the ring.
Indeed - but, of course, the same is true of two single sockets (no different from two FCUs).

Kind Regards, John

Yes, but the regulations don't say you can only have one FCU - as there aren't double ones.
True - but, as you know, nor do the regulations (as opposed to 'informative guidance') say that one can only have one single socket.

Kind Regards, John

True - but, as you know, nor do the regulations (as opposed to 'informative guidance') say that one can only have one single socket.
True but that is what people are taking as "the regulations".

So - we can design spurs however we want, then - as long as they comply with the regulations.

I look forward to some interesting discussions.

I feel sorry for the forum being bored to death with johnywaffle2. Doesn't affect me, when his gob starts I'm gone, as i'm sure many others are.

True but that is what people are taking as "the regulations". So - we can design spurs however we want, then - as long as they comply with the regulations. I look forward to some interesting discussions.
I think we've had those 'interesting discussions', several times, including quite recently.

Provided design considerations (basically CCC) were satisfied, I would personally have no hesitation in installing two single sockets as an unfused spur from a ring final (one being 'a sopur from a spur'), and would happily argue with anyone who claimed that it was "non compliant with the regulations". Indeed, BAS even believes that we (at least I!) should not advise a DIYer that they 'may not' do such things (which are contrary to guidance in an Appendix to the regs, although not forbidden by the regs, per se)

However, as I've said, I doubt that many electricians would want the potential hassle that could possibly arise if they did these things (and that includes 1.5mm² cable feeding a single socket or FCU as an unfused spur), and therefore would 'comply' with guidance in Appendices to the regs (and would probably advise DIYers that the couldn't/shouldn't do such things). Indeed, for all I know, membership of a self-cert Scheme might require one to 'comply' with those 'informative' Appendices?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back