Outside lights not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just replaced 4 bulbs that were missing from a set of 6 bollard type outside lights. Previously only one worked out of the 2 that had bulbs in and now that one doesn't work, but one I replaced the bulb for does work.
I have found a connection box but not sure if this incorporates a MCB - I'm guessing that something has tripped one somewhere. The lights are timer activated rather than having light detectors in them.

So questions are:
Would the lights be connected up in series (only the one nearest the house works) and therefore the fault would appear to be there;

Would a set of outside lights have an MCB? Would this be one MCB for all lights or one each?

Any other ideas as to why 5 out of the 6 lights aren't working?

Grateful for any ideas.

Sponsored Links
More than likely there will be a connection fault between the 1st & 2nd light, either a loose connection or damaged/broken cable.

I have just replaced 4 bulbs that were missing from a set of 6 bollard type outside lights. Previously only one worked out of the 2 that had bulbs in and now that one doesn't work, but one I replaced the bulb for does work.
Ask yourself why the previous occupant would have not had bulbs in lights that worked.

And whether what you have is a gradually deteriorating outside lighting installation.

I have found a connection box but not sure if this incorporates a MCB
They are easily recognisable - how can you not be sure?

I'm guessing that something has tripped one somewhere.
They also don't tend to be "somewhere" - their natural home is the consumer unit. And why are you guessing? And how, if they are on their own MCB and it's tripped, is one of the lights still working?

Would the lights be connected up in series
No, but the cable probably loops from one light to the next.

Would a set of outside lights have an MCB?
It might - is there one in your CU for them?

Would this be one MCB for all lights or one each?
One each would be perverse.

Any other ideas as to why 5 out of the 6 lights aren't working?
Cable damage.
Duff connections.
Duff lamp holders.

Grateful for any ideas.
Do they come apart easily?
Do you have a multimeter?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies - some more info:

The first 2 (nearest the house) are working. The 5th one worked the night before I replaced the bulbs in nos 1,2,3,4 and 6.
It is a building of several flats and maintenance is not kept up to scratch.
The "connection box" doesn't seem to have easily identifiable MCB's - (although there is a communal consumer unit with no circuit breakers having tripped.)
I don't have a multimeter - bit of a novice electrically but was hoping it was something obvious so no need to call an expert in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back